Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't get bitten by this bug....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3-long range--Last Monday we went to an evening concert in my Model 3. When we left at 11:15PM, I backed out of my parking spot and by accident nudged the gear shift from reverse to neutral while the car was still rolling. This caused the software to "freak out" (service tech's words) and to put a message on the screen saying pull over immediately the car will now shut down. (or words to that effect) I tried to go back into the parking space so that people behind me could leave, but the car would not move--PERIOD. After helping everyone behind me get going, I sent in a roadside assistance request. I still could not shift into forward or reverse. I tried a "soft reboot" (holding in the two "thumb wheels" on the steering wheel)twice, The software rebooted but that didn't help. Then I tried the "hard reboot"--holding down the brake pedal while holding down the two thumb wheels. The car rebooted, but that didn't help. So I tried the "hard reboot" again, and the error message cleared!!!! I drove home carefully and at a reduced speed. Made it home without incident. The next day (Tuesday) I took the car into service. I got the car back today and was told by the service manager that there really was nothing wrong with the car. The car didn't have a programmed response for the situation of backing up and shifting gears while still rolling, so it threw up its diodes and gave the scary message. He also told me that an enhancement request had been placed to update the software to handle this situation.

I would suggest not trying to see if your software has this bug, ('cause it probably does) as the entire thing seems sketchy to me.

My first Tesla glitch.

Mark

• Informative
Reactions: Tessaract
The things you are calling soft and hard reboots are actually the same thing - many tesla techs and insiders have said that holding the brake pedal makes no difference. If you want to try a different kind of reboot, try powering down the car from the Safety and Security menu, and then sitting without touching anything for 3-5 minutes, then pressing the brake pedal to resume.

• Helpful
Reactions: jpfive
I back out of my driveway in R and then, while still going backwards, always shift into D by toggling the gear shift lever all the way up.

Maybe because prior ICE cars I've owned didn't take kindly to this, I rarely ever try to change direction while in motion - good thing I guess.

You'd have thought that since it's all software (vs slipping a clutch or banging some gears) this wouldn't be an issue so good catch there.

I might be misunderstanding what exactly happened, but the 2020 Model 3 manual specifically says you can shift into reverse and drive when the car is moving less than 5 mph. If less than 1 mph you have to press the brake. It is on Page 56. Does any of this conflict with what you experienced? If so, sounds like the manager's explanation contradicts the manual.