Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't understand this used car market ...so many used Model Y's for higher prices

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there is a weird issue where car websites/dealers don't know how to check if the cars have FSD and just price with the rest of the market. A brand new Model Y LR with just autopilot is 49990 + the 1300 in destination charges + taxes and registration. So all in, before taxes and registration a new no options Model Y is 51290. If you add FSD then it is 61290. ~55000+ is a reasonable price for a used Model Y with FSD but with just autopilot it's cheaper to just buy new.

Although a LOT of these cars were bought with state incentives I'm sure so unless the state incentives have changed recently in your area it is almost always just barely more to buy a brand new model than a slightly used model in my experience. I was looking at buying a used Model Y Performance and by the time I bought the used model it ended up being like barely 3k cheaper in the first year when you factor in my state's incentive.

These cars seem to hold onto value pretty well but not amazingly. The performance models seem to be depreciating slightly faster.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Another thing to consider is some people are willing to pay a premium to have the car right away (rather than wait weeks/months to get it from Tesla)

Also list price is not necessarily the selling price. The buyer might negotiate a lower price and these sites would not know.

I’ve tracked these prices back when I was considering purchasing a Model Y too. I believe that some people are willing to pay a premium for a used Model Y, that may have already gone through the fix/repair process from any quality issues found at time of delivery (panel issues, paint etc).

I seriously considered paying more just because I wouldn’t have to deal with that aspect of the delivery process.

People are getting Y without any delays. While this could be a rare exception, saw a thread about someone getting the car in couple of hours.

People don't ask these crazy prices for used Y unless there is a demand out there. Not that sellers are getting the asking price but I guess there is enough demand out there
Lowest prices Y on Autotrader is a Long Range Black Model, upgraded wheels, 3000 plus miles for $56K, another LR 2000 miles with $57.5 K

Autotrader - page unavailable

People are getting Y without any delays. While this could be a rare exception, saw a thread about someone getting the car in couple of hours.

People don't ask these crazy prices for used Y unless there is a demand out there. Not that sellers are getting the asking price but I guess there is enough demand out there
Lowest prices Y on Autotrader is a Long Range Black Model, upgraded wheels, 3000 plus miles for $56K, another LR 2000 miles with $57.5 K

Autotrader - page unavailable
I definitely think Tesla has been delivering faster lately and that may impact values going forward.

I definitely think Tesla has been delivering faster lately and that may impact values going forward.

It's an odd quirk of demand that some people will pay more for immediate delivery, but the ready availability of immediate delivery results in a decrease of perceived value.

Economists try to rationalize it as 'validation of value' gone awry or a luxury/scarcity premium.