Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Used Model Y on Hertz, Good or Bad Idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering buying a used model Y Tesla from Hertz.

One is from Georgia and has 56k miles, no accidents, clean title for 29k
Another is from Ohio with 57k miles, no accidents, clean title for 28k

Another one from Baltimore with 12k miles, clean, and 37k..

Would you steer away from these entirely because of the amount of people renting them and beating on them or do you think it would be fine? How would maintenance be after these?

If you don't recommend the cars with 56k miles would you recommend the one with 12?

I figure most people dont beat on them to hell, but some people might. If the car still has the battery warranty is there anything to worry about?

Anecdotally, I rented a Hertz Y in San Diego a couple months ago. It had ~40k miles as I recall and it was ROUGH.

Bumper scratches at every corner. Rear liftgate was badly misaligned and wouldn’t close unless you helped it along with a gentle shove. Loud, boomy, rattly interior. Every wheel torn to shreds with curb rash.

I’m sure they’re not ALL like that but I’d wager a guess that more are than not. If you’re considering this seriously I’d absolutely not buy or commit any money without putting eyes on the actual car you’re considering first.

You buy an ex-rental car because you can cope with the abuse and risk. Sadly the Hertz cars don't seem like they are a particularly good deal.
They are stinging from the price drops and looking to recoup their costs, which means the prices are too high.

Reactions: cwerdna
Considering buying a used model Y Tesla from Hertz.

One is from Georgia and has 56k miles, no accidents, clean title for 29k
Another is from Ohio with 57k miles, no accidents, clean title for 28k

Another one from Baltimore with 12k miles, clean, and 37k..

Would you steer away from these entirely because of the amount of people renting them and beating on them or do you think it would be fine? How would maintenance be after these?

If you don't recommend the cars with 56k miles would you recommend the one with 12?

I figure most people dont beat on them to hell, but some people might. If the car still has the battery warranty is there anything to worry about?
I picked up a 2022 MYLR from Hertz which was probably an Uber drivers regular car. Had only 2 small scratches on the body and a tiny ding in a quarter panel(almost invisible). Front interior was clean with little wear showing and in the back there were scuff marks on the back of the front seats and one door speaker grill was scuffed. Had 58K miles and battery capacity test said it as 12% degradation. Some of Hertz cars go through their own inspection and this one had. Paid for a Tesla Service Center(SC) to do an alignment/check and they said undercarriage and suspension was fine.
I would say to go look at the cars and if you see signs of abuse the move to the next one. Consider you'll be paying just over $10,000 less than new and with only the battery and drivetrain warranty. I'm happy with our purchase.
Oh and watch the rear liftgate alignment. There's a 3rd version( -C ) of the hinges which beefed them up to stop bending. Ours had the upgraded hinge installed already but hinges are only $25ea if you can DIY and are ok without painted hinges. Tesla wanted ~$800 at one SC and $1200 at another to replace the hinges(instead of just adjusting). After buying the hinges, measuring and finding I had latest rev "C" I adjusted myself.

No way I’d consider one of those used Hertz cars when a new MYLR can be had for $41K after federal and state incentives where I live. EV or not, I wouldn’t buy any used rental car when the price is so close to new with full warranty. I know what I used to do the rental cars when I was traveling 45 weeks a year for work.