Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle Adjustment Help Needed (Door Opens when Presenting)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So ive done some reading on here and im getting conflicting information about what I need to adjust on my 2013 Model S driver door handle. The previous owner repaired/replaced the driver door handle right before I got it ( I believe he made two handles into one). When the door handle presents the driver door opens, and thats a major issue as you can imagine. I've heard theres a large torx right behind the handle, but i've also been told theres a tiny torx by a limit switch I need to adjust. Everything works properly, I just need to get it to not present as far.

Thanks in advance.

The big torx is for adjusting the flushness of the handle when retracted.
The small screw behind the micro switch is what you need to adjust for triggering the door latch.

So ive done some reading on here and im getting conflicting information about what I need to adjust on my 2013 Model S driver door handle. The previous owner repaired/replaced the driver door handle right before I got it ( I believe he made two handles into one). When the door handle presents the driver door opens, and thats a major issue as you can imagine. I've heard theres a large torx right behind the handle, but i've also been told theres a tiny torx by a limit switch I need to adjust. Everything works properly, I just need to get it to not present as far.

Thanks in advance.
the big torx adjust the touch sensor and how far back the handle can go inwards. there is a switch that tells the motor to stop when coming out. a switch that tells the door lock to open. a switch that tells the motor to stop when it goes in. so it sound like the switch that tells the motor to stop stopped when coming out is not working or needs adjustment. causing the motor to keep going until it hits the open latch switch. is yours the version 2 of the handle? the handle its not too complicated its an easy fix. you just need to put masking tape on the chrome before taking the whole assy out. and when putting it back in you kind of have to line it back up so the handle is in the middle and not touching the door metal

Reactions: BulldogsRus
the big torx adjust the touch sensor and how far back the handle can go inwards. there is a switch that tells the motor to stop when coming out. a switch that tells the door lock to open. a switch that tells the motor to stop when it goes in. so it sound like the switch that tells the motor to stop stopped when coming out is not working or needs adjustment. causing the motor to keep going until it hits the open latch switch. is yours the version 2 of the handle? the handle its not too complicated its an easy fix. you just need to put masking tape on the chrome before taking the whole assy out. and when putting it back in you kind of have to line it back up so the handle is in the middle and not touching the door metal
So in idiots terms what do I need to adjust to keep this from happening ? I’m tempted to order the rebuild kit and start from scratch, but wondering if it’s too far out of adjustment to even attempt that now. Maybe I’ll just cave and buy a reman handle (sigh).

On a fun side not the left rear door is doing it intermittently now too

Sorry for the late reply haven’t logged into the forum until now. There’s a good chance you can fix it by just getting the rebuild kit and not having to buy the whole reman door handle assembly. There’s a few things you what to check once you get the assembly out of the car on the work bench, remove the 4 screws that’s holding the motor: take out the motor and then you will want to take out the c-clip holding the long shaft holding the plastic handle that moves in and out. Then un-do the two springs that’s giving spring tension to the plastic handle the. have to check to see if the metal shaft is straight, check to see if there’s any cracks on the plastic handle that moves in and out and check if there’s broken metal gear teeth. And then check the two plastic rubbery bushings if it’s damaged or fallen out altogether. If metal shaft is good and straight and the plastic handle that moves in and out have no cracks then you want to see which of the micro switch touch the assembly first: see if the place the micro switch’s switch hits the assembly if it made a hole from over extending. The side that the micro switch gets its switch pressed in first is the micro switch that tells the motor to stop. Check to see if the screw that holds the micro switch is stripped or not check to see the little plastic nipple sticking out of the plastic handle on the side holding the micro switch is still there; if the little plastic nipple that holds the micro switch looks missing, broken, snapped or damaged then the micro switch will not hold its proper position causing it to over extend until and the micro switch on the other side to be pressed engage activate; the micro switch on the other side tells the door to unlatch: you want the metal shaft to be straight the two little plastic bushing that holds the metal gear on the shaft in good condition and you want the micro switch that touches the assembled first have a good plastic nipple sticking out of the plastic handle to hold it in place and the screw holding the micro switch that touches the base first not stripped holding the micro switch firmly in its position together with the little nipple that goes into the hole of the micro switch. If all that is good it can be repair by just the rebuild kit. if the little plastic nipple sticking out the side of the plastic handle is broken you will have to think of a way to hold it to the plastic handle the main thing is making sure the two point of contact firmly hold the first micro switch that touches the assembly in good order. You can add tape to the assembly were it touches the micro switch that touches first to add height; by adding tape you add height equal to adjusting when to tell the motor to stop equal to adjusting how far the chrome handle is allowed to come out:

One side of the micro switch has a metal spring on it the other micro switch doesn’t have that spring: by bending that little metal spring on the micro switch you adjust how soon or how later that micro switch gets activated.

The main thing is adjust the micro switch that tells the motor to stop to engage before the micro switch that tells the door to unlatch engage.

And make sure the micro switch is on the correct side if the micro switch that tells the motor to stop is on the side where it’s supposed to tell the door to unlatch the. The door will unlatch before the motor stops.

You mentioned the owner before attempted to repair it, he could of purchase a kit where the micro switch wires supposed pointed upwards towards the sky but if somehow he managed to messed up and succeeded in install it with the wires pointing towards the ground then it will be reversed.

If you are in Dallas I could repair it or if I m in Ohio and you have all the tools I could repair it or if you tell me in advance you can mail me yours and I could repair them and mail it back to you, or if you text me on my cell or email me I can most likely try and help you repair yours yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: PR0FESSOR