Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle not presenting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a problem recently with the door handle not presenting but, this time it was not a cracked gear… If you listen closely when it’s a cracked gear, you can hear the motor spinning but, this time there was no spinning motor and when I pressed the door handle, the door opened…
The fix:
I needed to open the service menu and calibrate the door handle.
If someone needs any more help let me know and I hope this helps someone!

Reactions: Tezzie
I had a problem recently with the door handle not presenting but, this time it was not a cracked gear… If you listen closely when it’s a cracked gear, you can hear the motor spinning but, this time there was no spinning motor and when I pressed the door handle, the door opened…
The fix:
I needed to open the service menu and calibrate the door handle.
If someone needs any more help let me know and I hope this helps someone!
Please elaborate

• Disagree
Reactions: Tezzie and Evee
If you press software you will see an image of your car, press and hold for five seconds and then it will open a small text box. Write service and then you will get in service menu. You will see an option for closures, press it and then the handle that is not working will be in orange, follow instructions to calibrate. In the left bottom corner you will see an exit box, you have to press and hold to exit.

This only works on the new handles.

The original ones when they go out even when the gear is not broken still require disassembly. If it's not the gear then 99% of the time it's one of the micro switches that broke due to the crap wires Tesla used. There is a replacement kit that comes with new switches that use silicone coated wires known as spaghetti wire and they will last much longer.

I do appreciate all of the replies and everything but, just so we are clear, I’m trying to help someone that has the same problem that I had and I believe that we are complicating something that is very simple! This is not like duct tape that fixes everything, I was very specific with what happened in MY CASE and what I did to fix it. My door handles are NOT the new gen and this is not common but it happened… I recorded the “symptoms” of the car and it’s faster and cleaner to try to open the service menu and calibrate rather than disassemble the whole door first… So, if anyone has this problem this is what I recommend doing first, no tools needed, no work needed…

So what you mean is that if a motor goes bad you can open the door by just pressing the handle? Is that a normal behavior?
Well, "normal" is relative...
Basically the exterior handle is it's own mechanism which is a motor which moves the handle itself in and out, and then a number of wires and switches and or other sensor to detect if the handle has been pushed, is in, is out, or has been pulled. And maybe a light as well.

The inside handle/switch is separate and the electronic mechanism that unlocks/unlatches the door is a separate mechanism.

So a dead motor in the handle just means the handle isn't going to move in or out.

In that situation, I wouldn't think anything done from the outside would do anything "normally". However, there could be any number of issues with wiring/switches that could potentially get triggered that would still end up sending the command to unlatch the door.

Reactions: .Lemos
I do appreciate all of the replies and everything but, just so we are clear, I’m trying to help someone that has the same problem that I had and I believe that we are complicating something that is very simple! This is not like duct tape that fixes everything, I was very specific with what happened in MY CASE and what I did to fix it. My door handles are NOT the new gen and this is not common but it happened… I recorded the “symptoms” of the car and it’s faster and cleaner to try to open the service menu and calibrate rather than disassemble the whole door first… So, if anyone has this problem this is what I recommend doing first, no tools needed, no work needed…
I agree, it's worth the simplicity of a couple minutes to check the service menu and see what's in there.
But if these really are original handles then it will show nothing available to calibrate.

My 2015 which currently apparently only has one new 3rd gen handle and that is the only one that it will give the option to calibrate.

If you press software you will see an image of your car, press and hold for five seconds and then it will open a small text box. Write service and then you will get in service menu. You will see an option for closures, press it and then the handle that is not working will be in orange, follow instructions to calibrate. In the left bottom corner you will see an exit box, you have to press and hold to exit.
Hi, I have a 2015 S with the same issue. I can hear the motor when I press the handle but nothing happens. I pressed software and then did a press hold on the image but nothing happened? The image on the top of the screen of the car? Is my car too old to have this feature? I can hear the motor constantly. Any assistance is appreciated!

Hi, I have a 2015 S with the same issue. I can hear the motor when I press the handle but nothing happens. I pressed software and then did a press hold on the image but nothing happened? The image on the top of the screen of the car? Is my car too old to have this feature? I can hear the motor constantly. Any assistance is appreciated!
I believe you actually hold on the model number of the car, like where it says 85D

If you can hear the motor is probably the paddle gear that broke. If you have some skills with tools is a pretty straightforward fix and you have plenty of tutorials on YouTube. The hard part is getting a paddle gear (at least in Portugal I’ve been told that that don’t sell that part alone anymore), honestly I had mine made out of bronze because that happens a lot a we used to have 3 Teslas. If you need anything more, I’m here to help.

Reactions: dsm363