Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Handle issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the situation. I come out from my office and go to put my bags in the back seat.
I pull the door handle but it does not open. Instead, this one door handle goes back in and
then immediately comes back out. I then can pull the door handle and it opens.

This has happened about three times over a couple weeks.
The SC says to bring it in which I plan to do.

My question is, why does this happen? Is the door handle logic "rebooting"? Did it detect
there was a problem?

Anyone experience this issue?

Yep, did it on the S I just traded in and on the S I'm driving now. I've also had it happen that I get out of the driver seat and go back to open the rear door only to have all the handles retract and then extend.

Has not happened all that often and, of course, it's never happened when I had anyone from Tesla look it it.

Minor glitch. Has not bothered me all that much as anytime it has happened it always works on the 2rd extension.

I get this when closing the trunk. Open trunk with handle on trunk, close trunk, not sure if the handles present as I walk to driver's door - or if they do it when I pop the trunk (I think the former). Get to driver's door just as trunk closes - an handles retract and then re-present. Note they will not take no for an answer when retracting - seems like they'd happily crush my fingers if I left them there to test.

Here's the situation. I come out from my office and go to put my bags in the back seat.
I pull the door handle but it does not open. Instead, this one door handle goes back in and
then immediately comes back out. I then can pull the door handle and it opens.

This has happened about three times over a couple weeks.
The SC says to bring it in which I plan to do.

My question is, why does this happen? Is the door handle logic "rebooting"? Did it detect
there was a problem?

Anyone experience this issue?

Mine did that twice in the last week. Never had it happen before. Should I get it checked?

I was in the SC today and they looked at the handle. They said they fixed it.

" Concern: Customer states: I come out of the office and go to pull the handle of the left rear
driver's side door to open it.It does not open. I let go, the handle goes in and then back out.
I then try again and it opens. Only this one handle goes in and out when this happens.
Pay Type: Goodwill

Corrections: Exterior Door Handles General Diagnosis
Tech verified the opening issue. Found handle making contact and sometimes preventing
the handle from operating correctly. Adjusted the handle alignment and verified fluid
operation. Tech also inspected the micro switches responsible for opening the door latch
to be in good condition at this time."

We cannot open the driver side door at all from outside now! Handle extends, but door will not open (is locked). All the other doors will open, and only way to open driver door is to crawl through the car and open from the inside...

Anyone else have that problem? I assume the only solution is to bring it in?

Davesm - There is a little micro switch on each door handle that triggers when you pull the handle to pop the door. Unfortunately, it appears it (or the wire that goes to it) can break and short out which causes this. One of tge owners on here took it upon himself to remove the inner door panel and do a repair himself.

I had this situation last month. The Ranger came out to my house and replaced the micro switch for the affected door handle. He indicated that this was a design issue as the wiring for the micro switches is too tight / short and over time the connection at the switch brakes. He replaced the switch and rerouted the wiring to eliminate a future problem. His repair took about an hour. He also suggested that I program the handles to present in a manner that only the drivers door handle will present first and a second press on the fob will allow the other doors to present.

OK, so all of a sudden both of my passenger doors are having this "handle presents itself, but will not open" issue!? I find it very odd that both the front and rear passenger side are exhibiting the same issue at the same time if it is a micro-switch issue? Has anyone found another cause?

OK, so all of a sudden both of my passenger doors are having this "handle presents itself, but will not open" issue!? I find it very odd that both the front and rear passenger side are exhibiting the same issue at the same time if it is a micro-switch issue? Has anyone found another cause?

Similar ssue on Thuesday am. Called service center on Thursday afternoon. Specifically, my S100D driver side handles did not present. Was able to slip a credit card in to get the door to handle Thursday am. Tried same trick Thursday pm and door would not open at all. Neither door opened using this method. Note: puddle lights worked but rear view mirror and main switch controlling window operation did not work.

Talked to service center today who had a few questions and advised me I had the newer handles which have a lesser fail rate. Mentioned they were working to solve remotely since a ranger could not come to me for a week.

Tonight, walked up to my car and handles presented. Magic. Nice work Tesla. No more crawling through the car to get to drive.

Reactions: cmarshack
I get this when closing the trunk. Open trunk with handle on trunk, close trunk, not sure if the handles present as I walk to driver's door - or if they do it when I pop the trunk (I think the former). Get to driver's door just as trunk closes - an handles retract and then re-present. Note they will not take no for an answer when retracting - seems like they'd happily crush my fingers if I left them there to test.

You know the door handles aren't capable of crushing your fingers, right? :)

Reactions: ATC@LWSK