Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handle light...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...dealer we got the ‘13 S from that had a stuck open drivers door handle offered to fix it, and they did. only thing is, the LED light does t work anymore. Im pretty sure they just forgot to connect it
They giving me a runaround, and i just want it fixed and since they didnt do a good job finishing the task at hand i may just do it myself
I saw how to remove the door panel, and it seems easy, but where are the connectors for the door handle light? Will it be pretty obvious?
Im handy w tools and have all the pry tools as well, I've taken numerous door panels off all sorts of cars, just wanna see if someone has a pic of what im looking for so i can be in and out of the garage as quick as possible, its 1degree outside in chicago haha

No way, dont do it yourself. Take it back, just show up and they may be able to take care of it in 30 minutes or so. If you tear apart the door and accidentally break something, that would suck. Out of warranty take care of it yourself, but not this time.

I've read that the harness going to the LED can also fail, so it may not be a "plug in and go" situation.

I'm sure you've seen this video, but you'll see the door handle only has a single connector going to the car itself. You have to remove the door handle from the car to check the harness. They're only focusing on the micro switch harness, not the LED harness, but you can see what I guess is the LED harness (black/yellow wires) on the right hand side of the video here at 11:11:

My March 2015 car has them as well. Tesla replaced one under extended warranty back in early December for not lighting up.

I think it is a bit weird as well that my car does not have them. I have 2015 P85D with pretty much all the accessories available at that time (including interior light package and door light package). A friend of mine has 2014 model S with a lot less equipment (for example without the interior light package) and he has the exterior lights ;)

Anyway, I checked the handles and they actually are without the LED, there is just an empty hole where the LED is designed to be. So it's not that the lights are broken, there are none. That's why I'm curious to know if all MS have preparation for the exterior lights or not.

LED on my 2014 P85D driver side rear door was on the fritz for a while, will randomly blink on or off. Then the paddle gear went. I decided to fix the door handle myself as it's out of warranty and it would've cost $343 from the cost of fixing one of the passenger side door. After taking out the door handle and replacing the broken paddle gear ($6 part from Tesla). I found one of the wire leading to the LED light has torn insulation out at the point going into the light, I think it's cause by the door handling moving in and out. I was not able to resolder the wire as the break is a the base of the LED lamp and there is a trim piece bolted to the top leaving no room for solder or glue. So, back to Tesla parts and got a gen 2.5 replacement LED for $15.28 including tax. The lamp looks identical but the connector is different. I would have to splice the old connector onto the new lamp. I'll have to take the door handle out again this weekend to perform the fix. I also did the driver side front paddle gear as well so that'll be the 3rd time performing the door handle removal, should get easier once figure the trick.