Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door misalignment - fix it or leave it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveG_NJ

Oct 7, 2020
NJ
I love my Model 3, but you hang out here long enough, you begin to second guess (especially if you actually experience a problem, like my repeater camera being DOA at delivery, but I digress). Honestly, I never looked over my car for "panel gaps" etc. when I picked it up. But looking at it in the garage, I notice that the left rear door is lower than the front door or the rear quarter panel (see photos).

Do you think this is something the SC can adjust? I read some horror stories about them making it worse, so I'm reluctant to just schedule an appointment. Of course, comparing two moving parts (front door/rear door) always allows for the possibility that the other door is the one at fault. But comparing the gaps between the body and all four doors, I'd say the left rear is definitely hanging low. The passenger side looks perfectly aligned from front quarter panel, both doors and rear.

door - 1 (1).jpeg

door - 2.jpeg

I love my Model 3, but you hang out here long enough, you begin to second guess (especially if you actually experience a problem, like my repeater camera being DOA at delivery, but I digress). Honestly, I never looked over my car for "panel gaps" etc. when I picked it up. But looking at it in the garage, I notice that the left rear door is lower than the front door or the rear quarter panel (see photos).

Do you think this is something the SC can adjust? I read some horror stories about them making it worse, so I'm reluctant to just schedule an appointment. Of course, comparing two moving parts (front door/rear door) always allows for the possibility that the other door is the one at fault. But comparing the gaps between the body and all four doors, I'd say the left rear is definitely hanging low. The passenger side looks perfectly aligned from front quarter panel, both doors and rear.

View attachment 606980

View attachment 606982
I took mine to the service center in princeton for this same thing, the guy was kind of dismissive and a little dickish about it. but they did a good job adjusting it.

Mine two 3's are similar. It's typical Tesla. If I wanted perfection I'd buy something else. See if they will fix free for you, or take to an independent shop that does Tesla's and pay for it if it's really a big deal.

Lower the front striker plates. Torx. Tape the edges of the original location. You need down and outward by 1mm.

I have the exact same looking door. I'm gonna do it one day.

Tesla charges $75 per alignment .... Ask me how I know

• Informative
Reactions: ajp558