TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Door pocket storage lights

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by octoad, Jun 19, 2018.

1. octoad

octoad Member

Is it normal for the lights in the door pocket storage area to be on while driving?

2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Well the manual says "If you turn on AMBIENT LIGHTS, interior ambient lights turn on whenever the headlights are on."

3. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

Yes with the ambient light setting turned on, which also includes the driver and passenger foot wells lights.

4. octoad

octoad Member

After the dome lights go off, my door pocket storage lights stay illuminated. I assume this is not the intended behavior.

5. TT97

TT97 Member

With the ambient lights setting turned on, it is the intended behavior. If you don't want them on, turn off the ambient lights setting.

6. octoad

octoad Member

Ah, sorry. I assumed ambient light meant the lighting when you open the door. I’ll check it out.

Can that light easily be changed to another color?

7. TT97

TT97 Member

I've seen replacement colored LEDs available (I believe on RPM Tesla). They are not cheap however. The door pocket lights are fairly bright, I am considering buying some colored transparent tape to change the color. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4TL6WC/?coliid=I238O0IF6OLA7I&colid=LV6KFLUJFWRQ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

8. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

#8 SDKoala, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Replacement LEDs for the footwells and trunk are easy to do, but I haven't seen replacement bulbs for the pocket lights, and they don't look accessible anyway. I think you have to remove multiple pieces of the door trim to get to them. RPM Tesla has some stick on colored film covers for the pocket lights and they look horrible. Jump to 2:00 in the video to see them. Don't recommend buying anything from RPM Tesla anyway--customer service is notoriously bad.

9. TT97

TT97 Member

Thanks. I wasn't aware door pocket lights are not easily replaceable. Those pocket light slides are horrendous - and $20 and only if you buy the LEDs (unless I am missing something). I prefer my idea of transparent colored tape better - looks cleaner and it's cheaper.

I have ordered stuff from RPM and overall happy with their products. The customer service is bad but feel it has more to do with being woefully understaffed than not caring - I feel the M3 customer (especially the early adapters) are buying more accessories for their cars than the S&X buyers and RPM hasn't ramped up for the additional demand.