Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door replacement with different year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, i have a question, i got a heavy damaged driver (left) side door Model 3, model year is 2021. the damage is from out site. the internal panel is fine.

Can i ask if i can replace with a different year door? I recently found one on the marketplace from 2019. can i use the outside door of 2019 in my 2021 model 3, and put the 2021 internal panel on the 2019 door?

Thank you in advance.

OP - you can but there ARE differences that would prevent it depending on the door you go with vs the one you have.
And it differs for front vs rear doors too!

Its more of an art than a science with Tesla sadly. So I cant tell you exact manufacturing and global cutoffs or enumerate the differences. Tesla certified body shops can.

Dont waste your time trying to get anything out of a. Tesla b. Teslas parts catalog.

Easiest way to to confirn compatibility is to visually examine the area around the door lock/latch on the leading edge of the doors... and around the hinges.
You will see clear differences in say a 2017 Model 3 LR RWD vs a 2020 SR vs a 2023 LR AWD or a 2019 Performance.