Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 5+ years of "low maintenance" ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does seem like you've had all the regular issues with the 3 rolled into one. That being said take out the tire rotations, air filter replacements and warranty repairs. Honestly, it's not all too bad and not much worse if not the same than what an ICE car would be. And those too have individual cars that are repair prone and just "bad luck" units.
My 2019 M3 has had virtually nothing go wrong. I also got the 12V battery replaced as precaution as soon as it was out of warranty. The truck wiring harness repair (free) the ball joint reseal (free) and other than that the only issue is that it goes through tires about twice as fast as the most pedestrian ICE.
Pretty much the same with mine, an early 2019 build (we got it April 2019, 65k+ miles now). Few problems, even those minor. I did have Mobile Service come out early summer this year to replace the 12-volt battery preemptively before a long road trip my wife was taking without me -- I didn't want THAT phone call at 10 p.m. from the NY Thruway!

Reactions: Chisale
Having had another service call today, I'm reflecting back at the maintenance/repair issues my 2018 RWD LR Model 3 has needed over the years. It has about 55K on it in a mild California climate.
  1. 4/2018: Delivery (3/2018 build)
  2. 4/2018: Service Center visit for delivery issues, including door seals incorrectly installed and interior B-pillar trim buckling. They had it for 3 days. I got a Nissan POS as a loaner.
  3. 8/2018: Tire shop for rotation and puncture repair
  4. 10/2018: Mobile Service for right headlight replacement due to accent light going out
  5. 10/2018: Mobile Service call back for improperly installed right headlight (the thing was whirring like a blender non-stop)
  6. 3/2019: Tire shop for rotation
  7. 3/2019: Service Center for alignment issue causing premature tire wear (waited on site)
  8. 4/2019: Tire shop for replacement tires (only got 10K out of the original set due to the alignment issue)
  9. 7/2019: Service Center for the rear axle click (waited on site)
  10. 10/2019: Tire shop for rotation
  11. 12/2019: Mobile Service for left headlight replacement due to accent light going out
  12. 1/2020: DIY cabin air filter replacement and AC coil cleaning for the moldy AC smell problem
  13. 6/2020: Mobile Service for tire rotation (finally found out it was offered as a mobile service)
  14. 7/2020: Service Center for break pad burnishing for metallic screeching sound while breaking (waited on site)
  15. 8/2020: Tire shop for replacement tires (yep...put on summer sport tires 18 months prior and only got 14K out of them)
  16. 8/2020: Mobile Service for FSD HW3 retrofit
  17. 10/2020: Mobile Service for backup camera not working -- issue not resolved
  18. 10/2020: Mobile Service for backup camera replacement -- issue still not resolved
  19. 11/2020: Service Center for trunk harness replacement -- more than a year before the recall was issued. You can thank cars like mine for why that recall exists, because it really sucked not having a functioning backup camera for a month while the Tesla techs had no idea what the problem was. They had the car for 2 days and I got a Model S loaner.
  20. 3/2021: Mobile Service for tire rotation
  21. 7/2021: Mobile Service for 12V battery replacement (preemptive)
  22. 11/2021: Mobile Service for tire rotation and reseal front control arm ball joints
  23. 2/2022: Mobile Service for broken driver window control switch
  24. 7/2022: Mobile Service for tire rotation
  25. 2/2023: Tire shop for rotation and puncture repair
  26. 9/2023: Tire shop for new tires (got 27K out of this set without changing anything about the way I drive)
  27. 10/2023: Mobile Service for broken charge port door and replacement repeater cameras (my request for the night time blinker issue)
  28. Still on the list of things to do: repeat DIY cabin air filter replacement and AC coil cleaning. The smell came back after about 2.5 years and I've been too lazy to take it all apart and do it again.

It seems like all the major things that have plagued the Model 3 over the years has all happened to my particular car. It comes out to about 5 service events per year, either as regular maintenance (tires, cabin air filter), things at my request (HW3, 12V battery), and stuff just flat out breaking. If mobile didn't exist, this would have been a lot of service center visits, so I'm really thankful that has been an option. The car has been to the actual service center 5 times and 3 of those were for things that were done while I waited. The other 2 times I got a loaner car. So even though it's been a lot of service, most of it has been done without even having to leave my house.

I still have fun driving it every day and I'm amazed that more than 5 years later, it's still getting updates and improvements. If I were to do it over again, I might have waited until it was in production for a while instead of jumping right in. It was pretty exciting at the beginning to have one of the only Model 3s on the road, though.

View attachment 983560
"Tesla Model 3, prodotto il primo esemplare. Ecco com'è la berlina compatta di Musk" by automobileitalia is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added to Blog Feed thumbnail
How current is the picture you posted? Your car is really pretty. I looked at it trying to see why it looked so good. It's the chrome trim!! Why did Tesla switch to black trim? The chrome trim adds a classy look to the car

Had our sweet little Casper for a little over a year now and all that happened was one time the bluetooth connection to the phones and the radio freaked out. After a car reboot, it was fine. I love the acceleration because sometimes the traffic in our little town is horrific and you have to go when you can because no one will stop for you.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!
Anyone know of an independent Tesla service shop in Southern California?
The air conditioning in my 2018 Model 3 with 60K miles stopped working. Tesla estimated over $1,000.00 for repair. Seems pricey!

If it makes you feel better, they quoted that much for my son's sonata AC. Only works when it's cool outside.

Glad I got the ESA for my 19' 3

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!
Anyone know of an independent Tesla service shop in Southern California?
The air conditioning in my 2018 Model 3 with 60K miles stopped working. Tesla estimated over $1,000.00 for repair. Seems pricey!
You might wish to clean, or have cleaned, the radiator. At 60k miles it is likely really, really clogged with debris resulting in the refrigerant not being cooled properly with good airflow through the fins. After you do this cleaning, do the same for your home refrigerator…it will thank you.

Reactions: vickh
For example, luxury ICE vehicles include free maintenance for all new vehicles for the first 3 years/36K miles. That, by definition, will make them cheaper to run for the first 3 years.

I wanted to add some context to this statement. A handful of Luxury manufacturers include free maintenance for the first 3/36. Only Acura, BMW, Genesis and Volvo do. That said, there is almost nothing besides oil changes, air filters and tire rotations that are due on those vehicles for the first 36K miles, so the savings is minimal.

Having had another service call today, I'm reflecting back at the maintenance/repair issues my 2018 RWD LR Model 3 has needed over the years. It has about 55K on it in a mild California climate.
  2. 4/2018: Service Center visit for delivery issues, including door seals incorrectly installed and interior B-pillar trim buckling. They had it for 3 days. I got a Nissan POS as a loaner.
  4. 10/2018: Mobile Service for right headlight replacement due to accent light going out
  5. 10/2018: Mobile Service call back for improperly installed right headlight (the thing was whirring like a blender non-stop)
  7. 3/2019: Service Center for alignment issue causing premature tire wear (waited on site)
  8. 4/2019: Tire shop for replacement tires (only got 10K out of the original set due to the alignment issue)
  11. 12/2019: Mobile Service for left headlight replacement due to accent light going out
  12. 1/2020: DIY cabin air filter replacement and AC coil cleaning for the moldy AC smell problem
  13. 6/2020: Mobile Service for tire rotation (finally found out it was offered as a mobile service)
  14. 7/2020: Service Center for break pad burnishing for metallic screeching sound while breaking (waited on site)
  15. 8/2020: Tire shop for replacement tires (yep...put on summer sport tires 18 months prior and only got 14K out of them)
  18. 10/2020: Mobile Service for backup camera replacement -- issue still not resolved
  19. 11/2020: Service Center for trunk harness replacement -- more than a year before the recall was issued. You can thank cars like mine for why that recall exists, because it really sucked not having a functioning backup camera for a month while the Tesla techs had no idea what the problem was. They had the car for 2 days and I got a Model S loaner.
  22. 11/2021: Mobile Service for tire rotation and reseal front control arm ball joints
  26. 9/2023: Tire shop for new tires (got 27K out of this set without changing anything about the way I drive)
  27. 10/2023: Mobile Service for broken charge port door and replacement repeater cameras (my request for the night time blinker issue)
  28. Still on the list of things to do: repeat DIY cabin air filter replacement and AC coil cleaning. The smell came back after about 2.5 years and I've been too lazy to take it all apart and do it again.

It seems like all the major things that have plagued the Model 3 over the years has all happened to my particular car. It comes out to about 5 service events per year, either as regular maintenance (tires, cabin air filter), things at my request (HW3, 12V battery), and stuff just flat out breaking. If mobile didn't exist, this would have been a lot of service center visits, so I'm really thankful that has been an option. The car has been to the actual service center 5 times and 3 of those were for things that were done while I waited. The other 2 times I got a loaner car. So even though it's been a lot of service, most of it has been done without even having to leave my house.

I still have fun driving it every day and I'm amazed that more than 5 years later, it's still getting updates and improvements. If I were to do it over again, I might have waited until it was in production for a while instead of jumping right in. It was pretty exciting at the beginning to have one of the only Model 3s on the road, though.

View attachment 983560
"Tesla Model 3, prodotto il primo esemplare. Ecco com'è la berlina compatta di Musk" by automobileitalia is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Have you heard about the lemon law ? You definitely got a lemon! By law they have to give you another car , plus pain and suffering!

• Funny
Reactions: KenC

View attachment 983560
I’m with you on this. I have a 2018 LR #5xxx. 96k miles. Just had the Superbottle replaced $1700- many errors & car was inoperable. Two control arms. high voltage charger $1200ish- a few small items that were covered.
I think that an updated version (with a heat pump) will have less issues.As my wife drives it more than me, & she wants an S (too pricey) with an M3 next on her list that’s what we’ll do.