Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

doors not unlock as I walking up to the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the same issue. I walk to the car with my iPhone in my shirt breast pocket. I try to open the door, no luck. I pull my iPhone out. The screen is all black. I push the Home button. The screen comes to life. I try to open the door, and now it works. I think the issue is that when the iPhone goes to sleep, the Tesla app stops responding. As soon as the iPhone wakes up, the Tesla app also wakes and allows the door to open (and the car to start).
I have exactly same issue. Agree the app or Bluetooth is not active once phone is locked somehow.

Well this is definitely Tesla, when I had my first Model 3 about 4 years ago the car was perfect at opening on approach about 10-15 feet away, never missed in about 14 months, then dreaded update and after that had to do the
Old bum Pat when phone in back pocket, had a few visits to Tesla to no avail, then my mate Joined Tesla (deffo not saying who)and managed to get the truth, Tesla passed update to trigger only at 16 inches.
Exactly same with my Model Y for last year, and unless Tesla change it we will never get back to the 16 or so foot and not get niches.
Come on Elon make it an option on the screen for close for those who want security and long range for those who do not.
Other makers like BMW have this option. So please Elon have your techs guys make it an option.

At first I thought that I needed to awake my iPhone before the phone key would unlock on approach. I’ve taken my ‘21 model Y into service half a dozen times trying to help this issue. I finally received a call from Tesla telling me that there is nothing more that they can do, and the Bluetooth on my car is within Tesla’s limits.
Now I realize that my Tesla will not unlock with my phone in my back pocket due to distance. So when I approach the car, I turn my body so my back pocket is inches away from the door, and it works every time.
Musk, you must change the proximity distance or add an adjustment in the car for the thousands of us who see this as more of a problem than a helpful safety issue!
Absolutely the worst thing on this car.

At first I thought that I needed to awake my iPhone before the phone key would unlock on approach. I’ve taken my ‘21 model Y into service half a dozen times trying to help this issue. I finally received a call from Tesla telling me that there is nothing more that they can do, and the Bluetooth on my car is within Tesla’s limits.
Now I realize that my Tesla will not unlock with my phone in my back pocket due to distance. So when I approach the car, I turn my body so my back pocket is inches away from the door, and it works every time.
Musk, you must change the proximity distance or add an adjustment in the car for the thousands of us who see this as more of a problem than a helpful safety issue!
Absolutely the worst thing on this car.
My previous phone, an iPhone Xr, could wake the car from my back pocket. Upgraded to a 14 and it no longer works from the back pocket. Moral of the story: all the components have tolerances. Including your phone. Why do you think this is Elon’s problem and not Tim’s?

Perhaps both components really are in spec, and you and I are both unfortunate enough that both phone and car are at the low end of spec?

If it’s really so irritating you can try different phones until it works well.

However, I had the Xr when I bought the car and the car would almost never unlock from the back pocket. At some point, maybe a year of owning the car, it would reliably unlock from the back pocket. I had assumed that the either the car or the phone had received a firmware update that happened to change the gain or signal.

Last edited: