Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port latch not unlocked when walking up to the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have noticed my car's charge port latch consistently not unlocking. My situation is I usually reserve in and park my car in the garage, I plug it in, leave it charge overnight. And the next morning, with my phone either in my hands or in my front pocket, when I walk up to the charging port from behind the car (since I reverse my car in), it consistently refuses to unlock. I usually have to take out my phone, use the app to unlock it, or walk to the driver door and attempt to use the door handle to unlock the car first, and then come back to the charge port to pull it out.

Is this issue because I didn't walk up to the car, pass the driver door first (the B pillar), that's why the charge port refuses to unlock? I have read that the bluetooth range is limited for security reason.

BUT then I tried to investigate the issue a little bit more. So once the charge port unlocks and everything, I plug it back in, leave the garage and walk back inside my house, confirm that the car is now automatically locked again, make sure in the app it says my phone is "disconnected". Then I wait a bit, like 15 minutes. After that I go down to the garage, with the app not explicitly opening and phone in front pocket (basically I try to have the same scenario I would every morning), and walk up to the charge port from behind again, and every time it works just fine. In other words, it seems like the problem is not with the bluetooth range, but with the car being asleep. Basically in the morning when you wake it up for the first time after a long night, that's when the charge port refuses to unlock. I wonder if this is the case?

I have an iPhone, grant every single permission for the Tesla app--location always on, precise location, allow background app refresh, never kill the app in the switcher, always let it run, don't have low power mode on, wifi/cellular enabled. Car have premium connectivity, wifi signal is decent in the garage. Current version is 2023.2.12

Any help would be much appreciated.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if it is an iOS issue--like if iOS is trying to do some optimizations in the background overnight that prevents the Tesla app from communicating with the car in the morning if you don't explicitly open it first. Although I have read that Android and car fob users run into problem with unlocking their cars too, but those cases might be different than this.