Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone tell me why the stay unlocked at home setting is not happening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2023 Model 3 is set up to stay unlocked when parked in our garage. It works fine when I drive the car (I am set up as the primary driver) but when my wife drives the car under her profile, the car locks when parked in our garage. I've checked the settings on our phones and the car under both of our profiles and they are the same. We are both using our own phone as keys, I have an android and she has an iphone. Any suggestions as to what is happening?

Same thing happened to me and my wife. She hadn’t sent our home address as “Home” to enable that setting.
IMG_1083.gif

• Funny
Reactions: El joe
Not sure I'm following you. Do you mean when she first set up her profile? I've gone thru her phone and checked the setting in the car and the box under Autolocking is checked "Exclude Home". If she uses the navigation while driving under her profile, the car knows where "Home" is. Why wouldn't it know not to lock the doors when it gets there?

This sounds like the problem I struggled with a few months ago. This is what I recall:

- Our car's doors were locking and sentry mode was running at home despite our "Home" location being defined in the navigation system and our "exclude Home" setting configured for the door locks. The problem drove me nuts because I found many sources that said that this is all you needed to do to turn off the automatic door locking at home.
- What I eventually learned was that our scenario was different because we purchased and installed the Tesla Garage Door Opener (aka "Homelink") option in our car. In that scenario, The "Home" location for the door locks is no longer based on the navigation system. With the Homelink option, the "Home" location for door locks is defined when you configure the Homelink option.

- The first time I configured Homelink, there was a screen with what I viewed as two options, and I chose option 2. What I eventually learned was that these were not "options" ... they were "steps". Step 1 was configuring the location of the door, and step 2 was giving the door a name and other settings. Reconfiguring Homelink was key to solving our problem.

- I also seem to recall learning something from this post, but I can't recall if it played a role in solving our issue. I definitely recall making sure both driver profiles worked before calling it a day.

I originally had the same problem.
What i did was "forget" the home address in navigation, drive away from my home, then reset the home address in navigation by typing it in manually, then saving the address as "home".
That seems to have "kicked it in gear", and now works properly and knows "home" is home

2023 Modely Y long range my phone is a key and my wife's phone is a key both are iphone 14, the walk away door lock option for exclude home is checked on both of our profiles and our home address is set for both profiles and it locks when either one of us walks away when the car is at home with our phone in hand any suggestions as what to do?

2023 Modely Y long range my phone is a key and my wife's phone is a key both are iphone 14, the walk away door lock option for exclude home is checked on both of our profiles and our home address is set for both profiles and it locks when either one of us walks away when the car is at home with our phone in hand any suggestions as what to do?

My suggestion would be to try a couple of the suggestions in this thread I moved your newly created thread into, where a few other people were discussing the same issue.

So guess the correct way to set the home address is to TYPE IT IN, rather than storing the current location, right? And have a question about the Home-link, since it was mentioned above. Can you set it to open and close manually only? If yes, that shouldn't affect the home non-locking option, right? Or would I still have to reconfigure home again? And finally, did Tesla make it any easier to install the module now? I remember reading that it was required to remove the freaking front bumper on my '21, so I had to pass on it. Hopefully somebody found a way to do it without removing the bumper. Thanks.

The location for homelink is set independently from your navigation home address. I've had to set the homelink spot a few times to get it right.

You have to enable auto mode for any operation. I have auto set to open only. In the m3, the proper location is still behind the bumper. However you can install it below the frunk latch inside the frunk. There are bolts holes in there that work perfectly.

But installing it behind the bumper is no big deal. The installer can probably do it blindfolded and they don't take the bumper off. All you have to do is remove a few bolts and they can get their hands in their to install it. It takes 15 minutes.

Thank you. The only way I'd install it is if I do it myself. I'd have to see a video on what's involved, but you gave me hope to install it on the M3P. Just hope I can buy it without forcing me to get it installed by a dealer, which would be a non-starter for me. Finally, I don't have a smart garage door opener, so how would the car know it's open??? I guess I could live with auto open, but not auto-close. It's a bummer that we can't use it manually only; Why not give owners the option? Don't get it. But thanks again for your help. Will look for a video on YT.

Sorry I wasn't clear. You can use it manually like a normal opener. Auto isn't necessary. You should read the manual.

You can buy the units on eBay or from your local sc. Read the diy homelink install threads here for the details.

I don't have a smart opener either so I added a separate remote receiver that can only open the door if it is closed. This was for safety reasons.