Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car asks for keycard, but lets iPhone unlock door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just updated to 2023.32.6. The door unlocks properly when I approach with my Iphone. When I try to put it into reverse or drive, the display asks for me to tap my keycard and apply brake before I can drive.
I have turned bluetooth off and on on my phone. I have disconnected and reconnected my iPhone from the car.
Neither gets rid of this problem.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

You didnt say you rebooted your phone (not turned off bluetooth, an actual power cycle of the phone), nor did you say you actually powered the car off, let it go to sleep (10-15 minutes ) then powered it back on. Try both of those (and dont skip on the full phone reboot, not just powercycling bluetooth on your phone).

My wife started having trouble with our 2023 MY not unlocking and she would have to use the card to start the drive. It happened randomly but enough that she was not happy. While trying to solve the issue and comparing to my iPhone, I noticed I had in Bluetooth the name of the car (HourKahr) that we gave it with a little gold key icon to the left. She did not have this in her Bluetooth. She only had Tesla Model Y listed in Bluetooth. I had both the golden key icon and Tesla model Y. The gold key icon on my iPhone always shows connected in Bluetooth but I assume it must be going through Wi-Fi somehow since not close enough to be Bluetooth connected. I removed the Tesla from her iPhone and from the car and reconnected her iPhone and everything seems to work but I did not see the gold key icon. About 15 minutes later she text me a picture and she had the gold key icon.
  • I have attached a picture and wondering why are there two connections in Bluetooth and what is the gold key icon?
  • Was her problems being caused by not having this gold key connection showing in her Bluetooth?
  • If this is required why did it work for her sometimes and not others?

(I was no where around when it worked on did not work so not related to my iPhone being near.)
IMG_4615.jpeg

The gold key is the connection to the car that makes your iPhone into a key. Go to Controls > Locks to set this up. The other connection is to use your iPhone’s Bluetooth features such as a phone, music, etc. The car needs to be awake for this connection to be enabled.

Both are Bluetooth not WiFi. The fact that are you “connected” to the “key” means you are in range for Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Not sure what the difference is but the gold key icon in Bluetooth stays connected all the time even when I am in the house far away from the car that is in the garage. There are 5 walls between me and the car. The other Bluetooth that is named Tesla Model Y is never connected until I am close to the car. I just turned off Bluetooth and turned back on while in the house far away and after a few minutes the gold key reconnects and stays connected. The Tesla Model Y never connected. If both standard Bluetooth why do they both not connect? There is something different about the gold key connection.

Lately I have had the same issue. Car does not unlock when I pull the handle. I then use the app (which was open on the iPhone) to unlock, that works, but foot on pedal still asks for keycard. Close app, reopen app, works.