Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dow Kokam's 80kWh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
Battery Maker Dow Kokam's Ambitious Goal: 300-Mile Range for EVs

kokambattery-packsmall.jpg

This seems ridiculous:
At the second-year heat in Arizona recently, the University of Ontario showed off its all-electric solution, with a Dow Kokam 80-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery pack. Team leader Mike Maduro told me that it has (at least on paper) a 240-mile range, more than double that of the Nissan Leaf. And the Saturn Vue is no lightweight platform.
If you're only getting 240 miles from an 80 KWH pack something is drastically wrong. I'm happy with all the attention batteries are getting but a little bit of common sense in weight saving and aerodynamic design would probably provide more bang for the buck at this point.
Kokam have had rather short cycle lives compared to other lithium cells, I hope they've addressed that issue.

Roadster gets ~ 245 miles on a 53 kWh pack. That 240 number appears suspicious on several levels. At 80 kWh one would expect a 360-mile range based on Roadster’s current battery pack. No competition for the Tesla ESS!

Roadster gets ~ 245 miles on a 53 kWh pack. That 240 number appears suspicious on several levels. At 80 kWh one would expect a 360-mile range based on Roadster’s current battery pack. No competition for the Tesla ESS!

I suppose it's because the roadster is very light (given the carbon fiber). I imagine most 4-door reasonably priced cars would be a lot heavier no?

Correct user497. Model S is a good example. The 80-90 kWh pack for a later release is targeted at a 300-mile range. Perhaps some tuning will enable Dow Kokam's battery pack to exceed 300. The key is to provide ~ 400+ mile range using smaller & lighter packs. :smile: