TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Dow Kokam's 80kWh

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by TEG, Jun 3, 2010.

1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

This seems ridiculous:
    If you're only getting 240 miles from an 80 KWH pack something is drastically wrong. I'm happy with all the attention batteries are getting but a little bit of common sense in weight saving and aerodynamic design would probably provide more bang for the buck at this point.
    Kokam have had rather short cycle lives compared to other lithium cells, I hope they've addressed that issue.

2. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Roadster gets ~ 245 miles on a 53 kWh pack. That 240 number appears suspicious on several levels. At 80 kWh one would expect a 360-mile range based on Roadster’s current battery pack. No competition for the Tesla ESS!

3. user497

user497 Member

I suppose it's because the roadster is very light (given the carbon fiber). I imagine most 4-door reasonably priced cars would be a lot heavier no?

4. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Correct user497. Model S is a good example. The 80-90 kWh pack for a later release is targeted at a 300-mile range. Perhaps some tuning will enable Dow Kokam's battery pack to exceed 300. The key is to provide ~ 400+ mile range using smaller & lighter packs. :smile: