Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drawback to ownership in a smaller “non-SC” town

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thursday I got a very brief “low coolant” warning on my dash. I was almost home so I pulled on in to my driveway but did not go in garage. Sure enough, when I looked where I park there was coolant on the ground.

I immediately called Tesla, all they could say is schedule with the SC. Upon going in to the app to schedule I notice the first available time is 10 days out. Of course they don’t have any method of calling and speaking to someone so now I am faced with letting my car sit in my garage for 10 days while the coolant drains itself, it will likely be empty soon and there is not a damn thing I can do about it. Guess I’m also faced with having to have it towed too since the coolant will likely be empty in 10 days when my appt is. Also now I have to figure out what to do for transportation for the next 10+ days.

Make sure you consider this scenario when buying in a smaller town. My SC is an hour away. This has me wondering if maybe Tesla was the wrong choice for me.

Since the car cannot be driven, roadside assistance should be able to tow you to the SC.

I am surprised that when OP called Tesla, Tesla customer service did not call roadside assistance for him. Ours did. Our 12v died and when we called Tesla Customer Service (not roadside assistance #), and they contacted roadside to come to toll our car. The same guy even called back next day to verify everything is good.

We were not offer Uber credit or rental car though, because the next day when Service Center called, the 12V was replaced already.

I’m sure, but that doesn’t help with the fact that I have to figure out what to do for transportation for the next two weeks. Traditional car I’d have it back already.
Roadside can bring you a loaner when you arrange to have them tow your car. Call them. They drop off loaner and take your car at the same time... or they used to at least. The last time I had a drive unit fail they didn't have any loaners.

Pay attention to the app, there is a selection about damage, rangers can come out to you.

Also, at least at the Columbus OH SC you can reply to the confirmation text message and chat
with a service rep.