Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dream Case

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sleep in my car occasionally, and this occurs when I need a good sleep and no other options are available (such as camping with heavy snorers). I have used an inflatable air mattress, it was not too bad, but after trying several ones I had to pick a thick one, which eats a lot of available height. And it's not horizontal at all.

I am reconsidering to get a dream case despite the high price. But for the (enormous) price, I really need it to:
1) Provide very good comfort
2) Be super durable

People on forums seem to validate the 1) without any hesitation, but does it last well? I'm concerned about the foldable "plank" that prevents the head side of the mattress from falling behind the front seats. Does it work durably, without folding or bending?

Thanks!

I tried many air and camping mattresses, and the only one that compensated the step and that did not bend into the gap behind the front seat was almost 15cm thick.
In our first-hand experience the thinner the mattress the better for use in the back of a Model S. To bridge that gap where the base of the rear seat folds just go to a big box home improvement store (Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, etc.) and buy a sheet of 3/4" insulation for about $25 before any coupons/discounts. Cut it in half roughly to fit that area and stack it two high. Should make that transition almost perfectly flat so now you can use any mattress. The hugely thick "deluxe" ones were just too tall for us and my large feet wouldn't have room to comfortably rest upright w/o hitting the hatch. The cheapest thinnest mattress from Walmart worked the best for us. It also tends to fold less from the wheel wells. That last part is important to this next tip: order a truck bed air mattress from Amazon. I think we paid $90ish but it was worth it. The cutouts are perfect for the wheel wells in the back of the S and allow the mattress to lay perfectly flat. This seems to be the best possible solution for the money.