Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive my MYLR or rent a M3 for a 1200+ mile road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vert890

Mar 30, 2023
DC
I am debating whether to drive my 2022 MYLR in a couple of weeks for a 1200+ mile trip.

The main pros are:

The M3 rental is only $250 (plus another $90 for insurance if I don't use my own policy)
I want to keep my mileage relatively low for insurance purposes (currently on target to pace to drive 15000 miles this year)
I prefer the M3's better handling over potholes and speed bumps (which there are a lot of where I am driving)

Cons are:

The M3 is a standard range and I will need to charge more often
It's a RWD (not sure if this really matters though)
It's a tighter fit and less comfortable for the two other pax than the MY
I won't be able to use my phone/Tesla app to control access to the M3
Cash is still king and why spend $250 now when I don't need to

Thanks for any thoughts!

I am debating whether to drive my 2022 MYLR in a couple of weeks for a 1200+ mile trip.

The main pros are:

The M3 rental is only $250 (plus another $90 for insurance if I don't use my own policy)
I want to keep my mileage relatively low for insurance purposes (currently on target to pace to drive 15000 miles this year)
I prefer the M3's better handling over potholes and speed bumps (which there are a lot of where I am driving)

Cons are:

The M3 is a standard range and I will need to charge more often
It's a RWD (not sure if this really matters though)
It's a tighter fit and less comfortable for the two other pax than the MY
I won't be able to use my phone/Tesla app to control access to the M3
Cash is still king and why spend $250 now when I don't need to

Thanks for any thoughts!
Drive your own

Reactions: drdumont
In the end, I went with the Hertz rental.

Was able to get a M3 LR and that helped a bit with range anxiety. In the end, I drove 1400 miles and paid about $80 in supercharger fees (a comparable ICE rental would have cost $120-$160 in gas), mostly because I was able to take advantage of cheap overnight rates on layovers.

Renting from Hertz has its downsides though, as mentioned by other reviewers. There is no app access and you need to use the card key every time to open the doors and go into drive. The navigation is limited and I wasn't able to play Apple Music without the premium connectivity. Specific to the M3, it was loud. One window wasn't sealed well, and the wind noise/vibration was just bearable. But, it was nice not having to worry about my safety score and insurance premium on a long trip.

Nowadays, there is a surplus of Teslas available for rent, and the price is competitive with renting a compact car in many markets.

• Informative
Reactions: vanjwilson