Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive on Nav

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using it quite a bit since I received it. While it is good, it is not great (IMHO) and has a long way to go.

Some of my thoughts on it operation:

I have my lane change set to Mad Max after starting at lower settings. I understood that this would make lane changes more often based on the speed of the traffic around me. It really seems to make no difference at all, or at least on Interstate 5 and 15 here in the San Diego area. My car still seems to slow down with traffic in front of it even though the lanes to my left and right may be open.

Next, my car slows down considerably when changing lanes and here in SoCal that can get you killed. When the car asks for a confirmation for a lane change, even when you give it the ok it slows down, waits for some reason (even if there is no traffic behind me) and then eventually moves over. However what normally happens is that I approve a lane change, the car slows down somewhat, and the guy riding my tail gets ticked and makes a fast lane change around me causing my car to jerk back into my lane as a response since there is now a car where it intended to go.

Next, when changing freeways via an interchange that includes a cloverleaf it slooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwsssssssssss way down.. Way too slow for SoCal traffic and beyond just a safety margin. For example, on the interchange ramp from 78 E to 15 S the car slows down to 20 mph. This causes everyone behind me to start evil thoughts about me and my car and creates a long line of cars behind me at the same time. Now once I am out of the turn, my car takes forever to accelerate back to freeway speeds causing all of those cars behind me to dart around me forcing my car to remain in the far right lane which is ending in just a few short feet. Because the car can't move over due to surrounding traffic, it just slows. Twice I have had it kit off the autopilot in the process.

So my take on it is that it works great if there is little to no traffic around, but once you throw in moderate to heavy traffic, forget it, it just cannot keep up with the surrounding traffic and becomes jerky and indecisive causing traffic around you to react which further causes the car confusion.

I have been using it almost every time it is available just to gauge how well it works, your mileage may vary!

when changing freeways via an interchange that includes a cloverleaf it slooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwsssssssssss way down.. Way too slow for SoCal traffic and beyond just a safety margin.

I purposefully avoid using it when dealing with cloverleafs for that same reason combined with the fact that the lines on the cloverleaf that I use are just horribly marked e.g. the peel and stick paint strip they used is peeled up and they didn't put it back down straight so it freaks AP out.

I have been using it quite a bit since I received it. While it is good, it is not great (IMHO) and has a long way to go.

I have my lane change set to Mad Max after starting at lower settings. I understood that this would make lane changes more often based on the speed of the traffic around me. It really seems to make no difference at all, or at least on Interstate 5 and 15 here in the San Diego area. My car still seems to slow down with traffic in front of it even though the lanes to my left and right may be open.

Next, my car slows down considerably when changing lanes and here in SoCal that can get you killed. When the car asks for a confirmation for a lane change, even when you give it the ok it slows down, waits for some reason (even if there is no traffic behind me) and then eventually moves over. However what normally happens is that I approve a lane change, the car slows down somewhat, and the guy riding my tail gets ticked and makes a fast lane change around me causing my car to jerk back into my lane as a response since there is now a car where it intended to go.

Next, when changing freeways via an interchange that includes a cloverleaf it slooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwsssssssssss way down.. Way too slow for SoCal traffic and beyond just a safety margin. For example, on the interchange ramp from 78 E to 15 S the car slows down to 20 mph. This causes everyone behind me to start evil thoughts about me and my car and creates a long line of cars behind me at the same time. Now once I am out of the turn, my car takes forever to accelerate back to freeway speeds causing all of those cars behind me to dart around me forcing my car to remain in the far right lane which is ending in just a few short feet. Because the car can't move over due to surrounding traffic, it just slows. Twice I have had it kit off the autopilot in the process.

So my take on it is that it works great if there is little to no traffic around, but once you throw in moderate to heavy traffic, forget it, it just cannot keep up with the surrounding traffic and becomes jerky and indecisive causing traffic around you to react which further causes the car confusion.

I have been using it almost every time it is available just to gauge how well it works, your mileage may vary!

i was just worried I needed FSD to get it instead of EAP. im pretty sure im on the latest update and some other chatters mentioned maps need to be updated (maybe that's the issue?)

Agreed, i think EAP in general is only safe with no cars here in socal. Even on the HOV lane, the car 50% stays in middle and 30% of the time skews right, and with the motorcycles flying in and out, last thing i want is an accident so i don't use EAP most of the time.. are you guys experiencing the same thing?

i was just worried I needed FSD to get it instead of EAP. im pretty sure im on the latest update and some other chatters mentioned maps need to be updated (maybe that's the issue?)

Agreed, i think EAP in general is only safe with no cars here in socal. Even on the HOV lane, the car 50% stays in middle and 30% of the time skews right, and with the motorcycles flying in and out, last thing i want is an accident so i don't use EAP most of the time.. are you guys experiencing the same thing?

I personally have not used mine in the HOV lane but based on what I have seen so far, I don't think it would be much better. I am running 2018.44.

If you have 42.2 (or later) on an AP2 car, with the EAP option activated, and you don't see "Navigate on AutoPilot" listed on the AutoPilot settings windows after a few days, contact Tesla. You may need a Service Center of Mobile Service visit to get the correct map and AP software installed.

I too had issues getting NOA to show up on my car. Tesla claimed I had the latest maps but that was later proven incorrect by a mobile service technician. After plugging his computer into my car he was able to see that the new map download failed. If you don't have NOA by now I highly recommend getting the mobile team out to your car to get them to manually download the maps. Tesla tried to push the maps to my car multiple times but that never worked.

If you have 42.2 (or later) on an AP2 car, with the EAP option activated, and you don't see "Navigate on AutoPilot" listed on the AutoPilot settings windows after a few days, contact Tesla. You may need a Service Center of Mobile Service visit to get the correct map and AP software installed.

OK, that's me - 46.2 and no Navigate on Autopilot. So I will call service, but is it possible to force a maps d/l? My car is always within a strong (50 mb/sec) wifi so I am confused after all of this time on 42+, I still do not have that capability.

We have strong WiFi in our garage. Our 2018 X 100D got the update without any problems. Our 2017 X 100D required about 4 hours in the Service Center to force the map download - and then force a second V9 software update - before NOAP showed up on the settings display.

That is spot on. I hate that it slows down before changing lanes.