Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit failure experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First let me say I live full time in my RV so I'm a constant tourist.

Anyway I was out driving to DC and the "vehicle may not restart" error came up but then went away like 30 seconds later and I was like 5 min from where I was going so I just went.

I parked and walked away for like 10 min and got back and the car drove fine no errors so I went to Ben's chili bowl if you know you know and after getting my delicious dog I came back to the car and it had 3 errors and it wouldn't power on more than the 12v system stuff so I was like well FML.

I called a service center and he told me to do the 2 finger salute and see if the errors went away because he couldn't see them on his end. Well that did nothing and he said to get it towed in and they'll take a look.

I called roadside and while I was on an longer hold than I'd expect I pushed the brake pedal (which I'd been doing every couple minutes since I got in the car) and the error was gone and it let me put it in gear so I started driving and made my way to the service center I was talking to earlier and roadside finally came back and I was like well I'm driving now but I'll call ya back if it goes to crap on the way lol.

I arrived at the service center and the guy was super friendly and got their master tech to do a remote diagnostic which after about 45 min came back as "yeah it's ****ed up" in not so many words and they are gonna have to comb through everything to find the problem tomorrow. I told the guy I'm camping like 1.5 hours away and he was able to hook me up with an "emergency loaner" model 3 (not in pristine condition and dirty inside and out along with dings and sacatches lol) which was awesome so I didn't have to pay for a long Uber or a rental car, but I still hate the model 3 for being a POS car compared to the S but I digress.

So the next day the guy calls and says the rear motor is shot it's got the coolant where it's not supposed to be problem and it's done. I'm like yeah I knew that defect and I know it's basically a ticking time bomb go ahead and get me a new motor.

So first he quotes me $7,500 and I'm like do it. Then he calls back like an hour later saying I can get the same 4 year warranty and instead of 2 weeks lead time it's 2-3 days for a rebuild motor and it's gonna be $5,700 I'm like **** yeah bro send it let's go with cheaper and quicker install time.

And a few days later I get the come pick up your car notification and I drove it home and it was fine and I towed my RV about 500 miles and no issues so I think everything is back as it should be. Gotta say it was super awesome to deal with such a great shop and the total time from the car not starting to me picking it up again was like 5-6 days. And the original motor lasted 188k miles so I'd say not too shabby.

Screenshot_20231007-190920.png
Screenshot_20230927-140610~2.png
PXL_20230926_161433857.jpg
PXL_20230926_161551328.jpg

First let me say I live full time in my RV so I'm a constant tourist.

Anyway I was out driving to DC and the "vehicle may not restart" error came up but then went away like 30 seconds later and I was like 5 min from where I was going so I just went.

I parked and walked away for like 10 min and got back and the car drove fine no errors so I went to Ben's chili bowl if you know you know and after getting my delicious dog I came back to the car and it had 3 errors and it wouldn't power on more than the 12v system stuff so I was like well FML.

I called a service center and he told me to do the 2 finger salute and see if the errors went away because he couldn't see them on his end. Well that did nothing and he said to get it towed in and they'll take a look.

I called roadside and while I was on an longer hold than I'd expect I pushed the brake pedal (which I'd been doing every couple minutes since I got in the car) and the error was gone and it let me put it in gear so I started driving and made my way to the service center I was talking to earlier and roadside finally came back and I was like well I'm driving now but I'll call ya back if it goes to crap on the way lol.

I arrived at the service center and the guy was super friendly and got their master tech to do a remote diagnostic which after about 45 min came back as "yeah it's ****ed up" in not so many words and they are gonna have to comb through everything to find the problem tomorrow. I told the guy I'm camping like 1.5 hours away and he was able to hook me up with an "emergency loaner" model 3 (not in pristine condition and dirty inside and out along with dings and sacatches lol) which was awesome so I didn't have to pay for a long Uber or a rental car, but I still hate the model 3 for being a POS car compared to the S but I digress.

So the next day the guy calls and says the rear motor is shot it's got the coolant where it's not supposed to be problem and it's done. I'm like yeah I knew that defect and I know it's basically a ticking time bomb go ahead and get me a new motor.

So first he quotes me $7,500 and I'm like do it. Then he calls back like an hour later saying I can get the same 4 year warranty and instead of 2 weeks lead time it's 2-3 days for a rebuild motor and it's gonna be $5,700 I'm like **** yeah bro send it let's go with cheaper and quicker install time.

And a few days later I get the come pick up your car notification and I drove it home and it was fine and I towed my RV about 500 miles and no issues so I think everything is back as it should be. Gotta say it was super awesome to deal with such a great shop and the total time from the car not starting to me picking it up again was like 5-6 days. And the original motor lasted 188k miles so I'd say not too shabby.

View attachment 980487View attachment 980488View attachment 980490View attachment 980492
For all the complaints about Tesla service, I think there are many examples like this we never hear about. Glad you’re up and running.

Reactions: buckets0fun
188k miles for a large rdu is the exception not the rule. I can’t recall the year of your car from your other posts. All I can say is I’d be tickled pink if my drive units last even 125k

Which is not a good look for Tesla at all. People combine the terms low mileage failures with lemons.
I just don't understand why someone buys a car and doesn't drive it. It's not a status symbol or anything. If you're not putting that many miles on the car you don't need the car in the first place.

If I was offered a choice today between a 2014 with 40k miles and one with 200k miles I'd take the 200k miles one because it's less likely to fail

Reactions: buckets0fun
I just don't understand why someone buys a car and doesn't drive it. It's not a status symbol or anything. If you're not putting that many miles on the car you don't need the car in the first place.

If I was offered a choice today between a 2014 with 40k miles and one with 200k miles I'd take the 200k miles one because it's less likely to fail
I agree with that, but the dude I bought my car from definitely didn’t drive it enough. I drive it all the time