Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I have a 2013 85P+ with 70,000 miles on it and free charging for life. I purchased this almost 2 years ago private sale and at the time there was a very tiny click, whenever accelerated from stop or from low speed. However, over the last year and a half, the noise has gotten much louder and after bring it to Tesla, they say they recommend replacing the main Drive unit and half axles for about $9500! I contacted Gruber motors in Phoenix, and they said, if this had to be done, their price would almost be the same, and they would be using a used drive that we would not know the wear history on it.
Seems like an awful lot of money and I’m looking for any ideas any folks out in the TMC group might have about this. I was on the Pacific Northwest. I really do want to keep the car as it has a very healthy battery as it still shows a range over 240 miles. Any thoughts on the situation would be appreciated.

Hi @karkrazy, with regards to drive units we currently don’t do many of these, maybe 1-2 per year. When we do, it's usually the result of some issue that has come up while trying to resolve some kind of isolation issue with the High Voltage Bus. It's not really our mainstay.

know that's probably not the answer that you were looking for, but we hope that helps outline things on our end. don't hesitate to reach out to us if you ever need anything else 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: karkrazy