Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver Door Opened further when Brake Applied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today when I hit the brake, the driver door went the opposite way instead of closing. It hit the car next to me as a result. Has this happened to anyone?
I have not ever experienced this or heard of it happening. Have you recently updated? Was it windy? I ask because the two most logical explanations are a new firmware bug or wind catching the door. It doesn't take much wind to prevent the door from closing, and once the door doesn't close, it doesn't take much wind to send it going the other way. If you haven't experienced wind keeping the door from closing, you could probably better understand how little it takes by holding the door open when you step on the brake.

Water corroded the wiring connector to my front door drive unit, causing erratic behavior. It would fail to respond when pressing the brake pedal, and it would occasionally (and unpredictably) swing wide and hard, hitting vehicles and obstacles next to me.

If you can, note the date and time your issue occurred and contact support. They may be able to check the vehicle logs for errors.

(In my case, they had to replace the door drive unit, and since then all has been well.)

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert