Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver seat creases in bolster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I would let you guys know that I requested service on my Model Y because of some creases in the leather in the drivers seat base, side bolster.

At the service, they steamed the seat leather and asked if I was happy with it. I said no and they replaced the seat base. Now it looks as good as new. If any of you have similar creases, you know what to do!

Before pic, not terrible but getting worse quickly.

IMG_6125.jpeg

I have this on my white seat got some good stuff recommended by Tesla that cleaned up the base well but the creases still look dirty. Not sure if it's worth getting replaced as I think it will just happen again.
I would log the issue early and then it’s up to you when you get it replaced. I got my car in Dec 22 but started seeing these at the 6 month point. I could feel a crease in the bolster so it was never going to improve.

I would log the issue early and then it’s up to you when you get it replaced. I got my car in Dec 22 but started seeing these at the 6 month point. I could feel a crease in the bolster so it was never going to improve.
I also feel the crease, as in there seems to be a weakness in the actual bolster foam/filling. As you say it will never improve just collapse further over time. I love my Tesla but never got this on any previous cars

Reactions: Morpheus84
I love my Tesla but never got this on any previous cars
Did you ever keep them long enough (if from new) ?

This is normal even with real leather but Im inclined to agree that there might be underlying issues (literally) with the foam. Always worth checking but I wouldn't be to surprised if someone got one of these claims rejected for wear and tear based on age and mileage.

Side bolsters wear are a bit of hit and miss sometimes dependant on driver habits.

Reactions: Exy1
Did you ever keep them long enough (if from new) ?

This is normal even with real leather but Im inclined to agree that there might be underlying issues (literally) with the foam. Always worth checking but I wouldn't be to surprised if someone got one of these claims rejected for wear and tear based on age and mileage.

Side bolsters wear are a bit of hit and miss sometimes dependant on driver habits.
Completely agree, my Y is 6 months old tho… I usually keep my cars for 4 years 80k miles and haven’t had an underlying foam issue, but yes some leather creasing would be expected, that’s what I thought it was at first but you can feel the crease or degradation underneath.

Last edited:
Reactions: Js1977
Completely agree, my Y is 6 months old tho… I usually keep my cars for 4 years 80k miles and haven’t had an underlying foam issue, but yes some leather creasing would be expected, that’s what I thought it was at first but you can feel the crease or degradation underneath.
Just log it mate. It’s a free fix. If it happens again, I’ll log it again. The fact it was fixed no questions asked suggests it’s a known issue.

I’m also only 5’8 and 75kg so it’s not a case of my fat bum either.

Reactions: BissetY
The fact it was fixed no questions asked suggests it’s a known issue.

And there is always goodwill.

’m also only 5’8 and 75kg so it’s not a case of my fat bum either.
Not that you would sit your bum there either ;)

Yes by all means log it There could well be some flaw in manufacturing, you never know. By my maths @10k miles it should be showing much either albeit imho from the OP's pictures and if I was buying it used, I wouldn't be to concerned if the foam was ok as it actually doesn't look abnormal for "leather"

I have a M3LR 2021 and now at 100k miles. The seat base has started to crease on the right bolster.

I think it's more of an issue with the foam base as after driving for about 30 minutes I start to get pain on my hip. You can also feel that the foam is compressing too much and the metal of the seat base can be felt.

I've just ordered a new foam base to replace this week which is £160 ex VAT. Hoping that this fill fix the issue.

Common on Model Y - a combination of having to sit on the bolster when getting in and out and the fact that to sit straight on the pedals and steering wheel (I find at least), you have to sit more on the right hand side of the seat..

Reactions: BissetY