Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver side Window makes Squeaky noise after rain

Do you have the same issue?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

I had a question for you all. Since I received the car after rain my driver side makes a loud squeaky noise when I bring it up and down. I had a service appointment and I was told this is normal and is an issue with all the cars. The Tesla employee said since there isn't any window frame this is common and there's no fix besides adding lube which will be a temporary fix.

He told me everyone has this issue.

I find it very hard to believe and if it's true I think that's a pretty bad flaw. This sound is so embarrassing when you have passengers in the car or going through drive thru. Makes the car feel like it's broke / cheap and I was very disappointed in the Tesla reps response.

My question was is this true? Do all you model 3 drivers have this complaint? How can I get Tesla to fix this rather then tell me to live with it.

Lots of people in northern climes use Gummi Pflege or similar to prevent sticking of the window to the rubber gaskets. They also have the benefit of helping with squeaking.

I'd check your gasket to make sure it's seated correctly.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Lots of people in northern climes use Gummi Pflege or similar to prevent sticking of the window to the rubber gaskets. They also have the benefit of helping with squeaking.

Gummi Pflege is indeed great on rubber door seals, and I apply it every spring on all cars to eliminate door seal squeak noises:
https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-914...s=GummiPflege&qid=1568128946&s=gateway&sr=8-1

However, the window tracks are usually lined with felt, nor rubber.

To OP - the noise is definitely not normal, and is likely caused by misalignment of window guide rails that force the pane to rub against the door frame. The dealer would need to take apart the door and re-align the window movement rails. If yours is refusing to do it, consider scheduling an appointment with anther location, or with a mobile service van.

I'd check your gasket to make sure it's seated correctly.

One can definitely DIY this, if so inclined.
But for cars under warranty, I would definitely want to have this handled by the dealer.
Except that Tesla doesn't have any, only factory owned service centers (SC) that are paid to shuffle customers in and out as quickly as possible. :(

I would still give another SC location a try, and if no luck, then either DIY it, or take to an independent mechanic.

HTH,
a

Get some of this https://www.wd40.com/products/silicone-lubricant/ and spray it on the door seals where they touch the glass, wipe off any excess, and report back.

Works great on my X. My 3 does not make any squeaking sounds when I put the window up/down.
Yes, I use something similar on my cars. Works great and rarely needed. Also happens on our non Tesla car. Not a flaw. OP, did you really make a service appointment just for that ?

I actually had the same problem not with just 1 window but 3. Started happening about 3 weeks after I took delivery with the 2 back windows. Made a service appointment to address that and a few other issues with my 3. Car came back with only 1 side fixed. The other side still had problems. Then the front driver side started having the same problem. The video here was shot before my 3rd visit.

Thank you everyone for the response. Personally I am not too savvy when it comes to DIY with cars and I feel that since it hasn't even been too long (< 2 months) since I got the car Tesla should help me resolve this.

The video clearly shows how loud the noise is and this was like in my first week or so after getting the car. After the first rain. I'll book another appointment to help resolve this. I think Tesla should fix it and I don't feel the reason given by the rep was acceptable.

Claiming this is a problem with all cars is not true. Secondly, if this is the case then all my windows should squeak. His response to that was the driver side window gets used more and that's why.. Which again isn't true as my passenger side gets used same if not more. I drive most of the time with my wife.

I'm a big Tesla fan and overall love the car. I've already got two friends to purchase Model 3s and possibly my uncle to buy a Model X. However, this interaction with the service center gave me a very negative experience. I had 5 issues I went in with they only resolved 2, 3 still pending with no time frame for update. One of the issues they made worst as they broke the material and they have to get a new material with no time frame for when it'll be available. When I drove off the lot the car started to make a weird noise like something was rubbing against the tire. When I went back in the rep talked to me like I am making it up or trying to get my issue I created fixed and told me to come the next day. I argued my case and said why dont you just drive it out and you'll see. I can't drive it home with this noise and it never had it before.

After pleading my case he agreed to test drive it. He got in the car, treated my car very angrily / disrespectfully by slamming the door. Steering and accelerating like it's his own car (treated it way rougher than I have till this day). Then he saw a service tech who he asked to drive it out. The other tech was extremely friendly and treated my car way better. He noticed the sound and turned out that while it was in the service center another car's metal windshield piece had somehow jammed in my shocks and they had to remove it. Right when it came out it was clear that this was from the showroom. No apology / sincerity from the rep. He literally made me feel like I was a liar trying to get a "freebie" fix. I was polite the whole time but I loved Tesla the company a little less that day.

Thank you everyone for the response. Personally I am not too savvy when it comes to DIY with cars and I feel that since it hasn't even been too long (< 2 months) since I got the car Tesla should help me resolve this.

The video clearly shows how loud the noise is and this was like in my first week or so after getting the car. After the first rain. I'll book another appointment to help resolve this. I think Tesla should fix it and I don't feel the reason given by the rep was acceptable.

Claiming this is a problem with all cars is not true. Secondly, if this is the case then all my windows should squeak. His response to that was the driver side window gets used more and that's why.. Which again isn't true as my passenger side gets used same if not more. I drive most of the time with my wife.

I'm a big Tesla fan and overall love the car. I've already got two friends to purchase Model 3s and possibly my uncle to buy a Model X. However, this interaction with the service center gave me a very negative experience. I had 5 issues I went in with they only resolved 2, 3 still pending with no time frame for update. One of the issues they made worst as they broke the material and they have to get a new material with no time frame for when it'll be available. When I drove off the lot the car started to make a weird noise like something was rubbing against the tire. When I went back in the rep talked to me like I am making it up or trying to get my issue I created fixed and told me to come the next day. I argued my case and said why dont you just drive it out and you'll see. I can't drive it home with this noise and it never had it before.

After pleading my case he agreed to test drive it. He got in the car, treated my car very angrily / disrespectfully by slamming the door. Steering and accelerating like it's his own car (treated it way rougher than I have till this day). Then he saw a service tech who he asked to drive it out. The other tech was extremely friendly and treated my car way better. He noticed the sound and turned out that while it was in the service center another car's metal windshield piece had somehow jammed in my shocks and they had to remove it. Right when it came out it was clear that this was from the showroom. No apology / sincerity from the rep. He literally made me feel like I was a liar trying to get a "freebie" fix. I was polite the whole time but I loved Tesla the company a little less that day.
Is there another Service Center you can take it to?

A few months ago I started experiencing the screetching noise when rolling driver window down (regardless of weather, happened every time). I tried using soft candle wax on the top door seals that rub on both sides of the window, but that didn't work and kept leaving streaks of wax on the window. A few weeks later (today), I decided to try cleaning the door seals with alcohol and that fixed the noise. Here's how I did it. I rolled the driver's window down all the way, and got a clean rag. I soaked a corner of the rag with alcohol and stuck it with my finger between the two door seals that the window rubs on (closer to the sideview mirror). Then I slid my finger/rag along the seals all the way to the rear part of the door (the very rear part of the door will have a small piece of the glass still sticking up between the seals). I repeated a few times and the rag picked up a bunch of black residue. Then I tested rolling the window up and down. Quiet at last!

A few months ago I started experiencing the screetching noise when rolling driver window down (regardless of weather, happened every time). I tried using soft candle wax on the top door seals that rub on both sides of the window, but that didn't work and kept leaving streaks of wax on the window. A few weeks later (today), I decided to try cleaning the door seals with alcohol and that fixed the noise. Here's how I did it. I rolled the driver's window down all the way, and got a clean rag. I soaked a corner of the rag with alcohol and stuck it with my finger between the two door seals that the window rubs on (closer to the sideview mirror). Then I slid my finger/rag along the seals all the way to the rear part of the door (the very rear part of the door will have a small piece of the glass still sticking up between the seals). I repeated a few times and the rag picked up a bunch of black residue. Then I tested rolling the window up and down. Quiet at last!
Well, spoke too soon. The noise returned when I roll down my driver window. I'll try cleaning the seals again, and let Tesla fix it if that doesn't work.