Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 MS P100D making squeaky serpentine belt noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for some quick help.

I am looking at a 2017 MS P100D with 89k miles.

Today I test drove it and it went fine.

However when I was out of the car I noticed a noise coming from the front drivers side fronk area that could only be described as a squeaky serpentine belt noise. The sales man said that is was the AC compressor belt making noise. In his defense it did only occur while the car had AC on.

It wasn’t very loud. And the noise itself didn’t seem concerning, it’s just that I don’t know what it is or could be, or rather or not it means impending doom.

My question is what could this be? Should I be concerned?

I am going back tomorrow to get the car or not so this forums input will be greatly appreciated.

The compressor is electrically driven. There is no serpentine belt. 😂

That said, there are two fans, one on either side of the car, behind the condensers. The drivers side fan on my 2016 Model S developed squeaky bearings that I’d bet are the noise you’re hearing. Those fans only run when the climate control is on.

Not really a big deal. I got a quote from Tesla to fix it at some point, I want to say it was like $500. I elected to just live with it. It’s just a fan.

Last edited:
Reference diagram from the parts catalog - it's that big fan in the front corner.

Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 8.13.31 PM.png

The compressor is electrically driven. There is no serpentine belt. 😂

That said, there are two fans, one on either side of the car, behind the condensers. The drivers side fan on my 2016 Model S developed squeaky bearings that I’d bet are the noise you’re hearing. Those fans only run when the climate control is on.

Not really a big deal. I got a quote from Tesla to fix it at some point, I want to say it was like $500. I elected to just live with it. It’s just a fan.
Is your fan still going strong or has it pooped the bed?

how long has it been making the noise?