Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers door won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Having a bit of a weird issue with my MS 17.

The drivers side door won't open from the outside. The handle presents fine but won't unlock when pulled. Opens fine from the inside though, best way I can describe it is the reversal of childlock where the door functions fine from the inside, but it seems disabled from opening from the outside.

I doubt it's software related but happened after the 2020.20.1 update.

I have an appointment scheduled in another 10 days. But would be good to know if anyone else has experienced this.

Sheesh! That's no good. So safe to say I can blame the missus?

Door handle problems like this are usually cumulative so it’s hard to ascribe blame to a single cause like that.

It sounds like a broken wire, which is one of a couple common failure modes on the Model S door handles (lots of existing threads in this topic here on TMC).

Bruce.

Reactions: hcdavis3 and nikhon
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect this thread again. I'm still waiting on my service appointment regarding my drivers door issue. But had a bit of a breakthrough today. The handle works if and only if another passenger door is open. Actually seems software related?!?