Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivers Side Rear Door Opens On It's Own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For over a month my 2018 M3 has had an issue where the drivers side rear door will pop open on its own. It has degraded to a point where this happens multiple times a day.

If the alarm is set, the alarm triggers. Alarm blaring or not, a notification appears in the Tesla app stating the door is open.

The child lock being set makes no difference - the door pops open regardless of the setting.

When this happens, the door is just barely open and the window has dropped to clear the trim. I go through a routine of unlocking the car, shutting the door, and relocking.

I'm not driving the car much, but this hasn't happened while driving. Only while parked.

The car has been in to service for this issue, but it is still not resolved. The techs said they saw logs indicating an external door handle pull, so they replaced it. Given the issue is reccuring, the next strategy is to replace the door latch, but it'll take over 4 weeks for the part to come in, which is a frustratingly long time.

Has anyone else had this problem? Would appreciate hearing about it and what ultimately fixed it.

After two service visits the issue is still unresolved. The first attempted fix was to replace the exterior door handle. The second attempt was the replace the interior door switch (which means replacing the entire interior door panel). Replacing the interior door panel appeared to work, but after 5 days the problem came back.

Has your issue been resolved? This just happened to me a couple of days ago. I got my car washed (it was only about 10 degrees, but I parked in a heated garage afterwards) and just happened to download the latest software update, so I'm not sure if one was the cause over the other. But I got a notification that the alarm was going off, only to find the rear passenger door going crazy. Window going up and down clicking (unlocking/locking). Finally, after about 20 minutes, I put in drive and it stopped. Only to happen after my next stop (6 hours after the first one).

Sorry to hear about your door issues. So I just got the car back a few days ago after the 4th service visit for this issue. It's only been a few days, and the problem hasn't come back, but I'm a pessimist and not comfortable calling it resolved yet, until some additional time passes.

During the first three visits to service for this issue they replaced the external door handle, the door latch and the interior door button / door panel. None of those changes resolved the issue.

On the last (fourth) visit, they replaced the left side low voltage controller and the left side body harness. They said they detected a fault in the low voltage controller and seemed more confident that replacement would resolve the issue.