Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver's Window Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
I think the switch for the driver's window is going bad. I noticed a few times recently that the window didn't go down when I pushed the switch all the way down, but it would if I pushed it again. Then Friday I rolled down the window and discovered it didn't want to go back up. I had to pull up the switch a couple of times and it went up about 1/3. I pulled it several more times and it went up another 1/3. The third time pulling up the switch multiple times finally got it all the way up.

I'm pretty sure it's the switch, but wanted to ask if anyone has seen anything like this?

I found the switch unit for the pre-2021 Model S is the same as used by Mercedes for several different cars from 2009-2017 or so. New parts are widely available and cheaper than used Tesla switches off wrecks. I compared pictures and they look identical. If it is the switch it looks like a cheap fix ($35 from China or about $60 from the US) with a little elbow grease.

It might be the control module too. In that case buying a new switch wouldn't do the job.

Tesla tends to go for their own electronics, but I've read the seat control module in the original Model S was from Mercedes too. The Model S has some other parts that came from other car makers' suppliers.

Thanks for the info.