Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver input required for FSD 12 - Window switch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was that an accidental discovery? Seems like giving the wheel a little tug would be easier.
Because the tug on the wheel rarely works, if I just keep tugging a little harder back and forth, it will disengage before clearing the nag.

Because the roller buttons on the wheel rarely work, if I just keep tugging the wheel harder and harder and rolling the rollers more and more eventually it will disengage - BUT IT STILL WON'T STOP THE FREAKING NAGS!

If somehow the window up / down button has gotten involved in this comedy farce and will actually satisfy the nags, I'm all in for it. In fact I'll even test out to see if the window buttons will stop the dry wipes - who knows? Worth a try.

My preference has been to click the right scroll wheel left or right since those buttons don't do anything else on my car.
On my Model S with a yoke wheel, pushing the right scroll wheel left or right is the same as pushing it in, which disengages Autopilot. Which car do you have?

Because the tug on the wheel rarely works, if I just keep tugging a little harder back and forth, it will disengage before clearing the nag
The tug always works for me, so maybe you’re not doing it right, or there could be a faulty torque sensor on your wheel. Have you ever asked Service to check it out?

On my Model S with a yoke wheel, pushing the right scroll wheel left or right is the same as pushing it in, which disengages Autopilot. Which car do you have?
I have a '23 Model S with round wheel. It is very easy to accidentally press the scroll wheel in while trying to click it side to side, which I assume is the reason they decided to not give an action to the sideways presses. It took a little bit of practice, but I can reliably click it sideways now without it registering as a press and disengaging autopilot. When I do it, I put my thumb next to the wheel rather than on top of it, then push it sideways.

I have a '23 Model S with round wheel. It is very easy to accidentally press the scroll wheel in while trying to click it side to side, which I assume is the reason they decided to not give an action to the sideways presses. It took a little bit of practice, but I can reliably click it sideways now without it registering as a press and disengaging autopilot. When I do it, I put my thumb next to the wheel rather than on top of it, then push it sideways.
Thanks. I’ll try again, but I’ve tried multiple times without success, and this is not my first Tesla. If I can’t get it to work, I’ll have service check the yoke. They’ve already replaced it once because of a faulty turn signal button.

Because the tug on the wheel rarely works, if I just keep tugging a little harder back and forth, it will disengage before clearing the nag.

Because the roller buttons on the wheel rarely work, if I just keep tugging the wheel harder and harder and rolling the rollers more and more eventually it will disengage - BUT IT STILL WON'T STOP THE FREAKING NAGS!

If somehow the window up / down button has gotten involved in this comedy farce and will actually satisfy the nags, I'm all in for it. In fact I'll even test out to see if the window buttons will stop the dry wipes - who knows? Worth a try.

Sounds like you need a reset. 2-3 lbs pressure on the wheel should satisfy the nag and 5 lbs required to disengage. (maybe its 1-2 for nag satisfaction and 4 lbs to disengage?)

Sounds like you need a reset. 2-3 lbs pressure on the wheel should satisfy the nag and 5 lbs required to disengage. (maybe its 1-2 for nag satisfaction and 4 lbs to disengage?)
It used to be. But with updates it gradually got worse and worse. Now it takes 4 to disengage and 5 or 10 or ??? to satisfy the nag. I'll just keep trying it once in a while and if it becomes usable, then test it a bit on usefulness for driving.

I rember my first month or so and I could not figure out the amount of torque. Now years later and I can toque with either hand within a second and probably could even do it in my sleep.
I can't remember for sure, but I don't think the nags were there when I got my YLR in May of 2022? It seems like they began about Feb of 2023 when FSD went to 11.3? But I too had little trouble learning the torque level required to keep it happy, but not override and disengage. However with each update it got worse and around 11.4.9 in Dec 2023, suddenly wheel torque mostly quit working for the nags until well past the disengagement level - and then the wheel buttons stopped satisfying them.

v12 was interesting in that it felt different - smoother and more human, but didn't really fix any of the actual issues that made it difficult to control and safety issues.

But!!!! Yesterday I got 12.3.3 and most if not all of the things that really had me worried were solved.
Making good lane choices at a reasonable distance.
Observing and obeying speed limit signs, (mostly).
Can see and obey traffic signal lights on the other side of the intersection.
Reasonable behavior in following, changing lanes to pass, passing, changing back to regular lane.
Dealt with safety cones just fine.
Making left and right turns appropriately.
Taking left and right exits appropriately.
Changing speed when moving from Interstate to frontage road appropriately.
Reasonable acceleration to speed, reasonable deceleration to stop - very human-good-driver-like.
Dry wipes gone.
Nags gone.
I can live with this. I feel much better about the value of Tesla stock.:)

It was accidental.

It worked all day for the first day of getting FSD 12.3.3. However, now that I try it a day later, it no longer works. Makes me feel there was intention to have it work, but then they didn't fully flesh out the code. Oh well, easy come, easy go.
I got 12.3.3 today and went for a 50 mile drive. Never got a nag, so had no opportunity to try it???

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
It used to be. But with updates it gradually got worse and worse. Now it takes 4 to disengage and 5 or 10 or ??? to satisfy the nag. I'll just keep trying it once in a while and if it becomes usable, then test it a bit on usefulness for driving.
Occurred to me later that simply rolling either side wheel control just a click will satisfy the nag…but sounds like you have a service isssue :(

Occurred to me later that simply rolling either side wheel control just a click will satisfy the nag…but sounds like you have a service isssue :(
No. When something quits working when an update is installed, service just says there is nothing they can do for it and just wait for the update that fixes it. For instance:

After an update my Y suddenly had a real problem with sun on the left side. It is 16 miles South to town and all assist functions are disabled going to town in the morning and / or returning home in the afternoon. Service's response to this was, they can't see anything wrong. If I wanted to drive, wait for a cloudy day or arrange my schedule to go to town in the afternoons and go home in the mornings. WTF? {Here's the transactions}. It's always like this, so I gave up trying to get Tesla to fix broken stuff.

Tesla 3.jpg
Tesla 2.jpg
Tesla 1.jpg

It was accidental.

It worked all day for the first day of getting FSD 12.3.3. However, now that I try it a day later, it no longer works. Makes me feel there was intention to have it work, but then they didn't fully flesh out the code. Oh well, easy come, easy go.
It didn't work for me either on 2 separate drives, tried it with both the driver and passenger window switches going both up and down. It seems more likely it was a bug on your car rather than this being an intentional feature.

I realized today that you can also use the cruise control touch button (the one between the horn/camera button and the wiper button) to satisfy the input nag. Incidentally, I also discovered that if you press the horn button by mistake, it does not satisfy the input nag.