Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drives (mostly coast <-> inland)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cpa

May 17, 2014
Central Valley
At least we have Greenfield and Soledad. I dont' remember having these two when I drove through in early 2021. Perhaps San Lucas makes more sense for people coming over from the 5?

MODERATOR NOTE: The first ten or so messages in this thread were moved from the King City, CA Supercharger thread.

Highway 198 is not the most expedient way across the Coastal Range from Interstate 5 unless one's final destination is San Lucas or San Ardo, and they are coming from Coalinga.

It is easier and faster to take 152 west of Los Banos from the north and 46 from due east or the south.

I've driven 198 a handful of times. It is slo-o-o-w going! And if you are lucky enough to follow a cattle truck or small truck, it is even slower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Highway 198 is not the most expedient way across the Coastal Range from Interstate 5 unless one's final destination is San Lucas or San Ardo, and they are coming from Coalinga.

It is easier and faster to take 152 west of Los Banos from the north and 46 from due east or the south.

I've driven 198 a handful of times. It is slo-o-o-w going! And if you are lucky enough to follow a cattle truck or small truck, it is even slower.
I agree wholeheartedley. My preference when heading north is...
1. THE 46 which seems to be the quickest and generally traffic free. (and there's the James Dean thing)
2. THE 198 which is fun to drive when clear (but no guarantee). Has several corkscrew-like curves which were made for Tesla and motorcycles. Not for the faint of heart or passengers.
3. THE 152 although I have to veer southward onto THE 156 since I head to the Peninsula.

Added the THE before each hwy number so LA residents will understand the language.

I agree wholeheartedley. My preference when heading north is...
1. THE 46 which seems to be the quickest and generally traffic free. (and there's the James Dean thing)
2. THE 198 which is fun to drive when clear (but no guarantee). Has several corkscrew-like curves which were made for Tesla and motorcycles. Not for the faint of heart or passengers.
3. THE 152 although I have to veer southward onto THE 156 since I head to the Peninsula.

Added the THE before each hwy number so LA residents will understand the language.
If one wants a real challenge or really fun drive crossing from I5 to San Jose. Take THE 130 from Patterson on the I5 side and cross Mount Hamilton to San Jose. It's a real twisty. Stop at The Junction grill for a quick refreshment and bathroom break. Last time I was there my P85D gets to park next to two Lamborghini and a Ferarri.
IMG_6390.png

Woohoo... that is a nail biter (except hard to bite nails while death gripping the steering wheel). I have done THE 130, but from west to east. Was hoping the Observatory was open. It was not so I suspect the Junction Grill also was not (high COVID time).
But I will try to do it the other way, soon.
Thanks !!!

Woohoo... that is a nail biter (except hard to bite nails while death gripping the steering wheel). I have done THE 130, but from west to east. Was hoping the Observatory was open. It was not so I suspect the Junction Grill also was not (high COVID time).
But I will try to do it the other way, soon.
Thanks !!!
This picture was taken Feb. 20, 2022. The Grill was open then. I went inside to use the head and buy a cup of coffee as a way of paying for the convenience. As I said in the early post, parked next to two Lambos (not sure what the models are) and there was a Ferrari 458 Speciale (I think) just outside of the frame. Although the Ferrari was visible in my previous post when the picture was taken from the front of my P85D. I was told the Lick Observatory was open from March 12 on, confirmed by a coworker who visited that weekend and toured the Lick telescope. I need to go back for another drive one of these weekends. I did the San Jose to I5 drive last year and stopped at the Almondwood BBQ at Patterson for lunch and Supercharge. Earlier in February I drove from Livermore down Mines Road to The Grill and turn west on THE 130 to cross Mount Hamilton.
IMG_6389-2.jpg

Reactions: wws
Nice!!! Now on my list of drives (although again) to do. Sig other won't be there due to car sickness when I drive the way I like (which is what Tesla lets me do).

It's been quite a few years since I've driven 130 on the back (east) side of Mt Hamilton. Great sports car territory! And yeah - not a road I'd drive "spiritedly" with my wife in the car...

Reactions: 1100MCM
Is 'spiritedly' more fun than 'maniacally' which is how I describe my driving when alone? It includes laughter to match.
Another similar twisty drive (abide less elevation change) is from Carmel take the Carmel Valley Road all the way to Greenfield on 101 and Supercharge there. From there either take THE 101 back to the Bay Area or go further south to King City and cut over to THE 25 via G13 (Bitterwater Rd) and go north through Hollister and back to the Bay Area.
The one drive I really wanted to do with my Model S is THE 120 (Tioga Rd) across Yosemite to Mono Lake. During the pandemic, I manage to get to Groveland Supercharger a couple of times but was not able to get a pass to get into Yosemite. Maybe this year when the Tioga Pass opens as there is no more pass requirement for Yosemite.
In July of 2020 I did take THE 108 (Sonora Pass) across the Sierra Nevada, charge at Bridge Port at an EA charger using a CHAdeMO adapter. Then take THE 395 south to Mono Lake and turn east on THE 167 to Hawthorne supercharger. Then take THE 95 to Tonopah supercharger, then take THE 6 to THE 375 (also known as THE Extraterrestrial Highway) then south to Las Vegas. After Vegas just take the usual road home via Baker, Barstow, Mojave, Bakersfield and I5 home.

Last edited:
Reactions: smartypnz and wws
The one drive I really wanted to do with my Model S is THE 120 (Tioga Rd) across Yosemite to Mono Lake. During the pandemic, I manage to get to Groveland Supercharger a couple of times but was not able to get a pass to get into Yosemite. Maybe this year when the Tioga Pass opens as there is no more pass requirement for Yosemite.
Did that 2 years ago? Maybe 3. Went across Death Valley via Bakersfield to Vegas and back across Death Valley and over the Tioga thru Yosemite.
Best part was passing signs that said 'slow down to prevent overheating' across Death Valley followed by acceleration and maniacal laughter.

Reactions: 5Wheeler