Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driveway question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Prius made it into the garage without scraping. The realtor said it was close. But close is fine. Today I’ll be talking details with the realtor and possibly decide whether or not to make an offer on the house. Thanks to everyone above for all your help regarding the driveway issue.

The Prius made it into the garage without scraping. The realtor said it was close. But close is fine. Today I’ll be talking details with the realtor and possibly decide whether or not to make an offer on the house. Thanks to everyone above for all your help regarding the driveway issue.

Good luck! I hope the negotiations go well. I've made unsuccessful offers on a couple of houses lately - one at full asking price with an escalation clause. :(

Good luck! I hope the negotiations go well. I've made unsuccessful offers on a couple of houses lately - one at full asking price with an escalation clause. :(

Thanks. I’ve made offers on two houses so far, which were rejected by sellers demanding more than my realtor felt the houses were worth. You just keep looking until you can agree with a seller as to what their house is worth. Fortunately I don’t need to be in a hurry. I’ve only been really actively looking for a month or so, and for a month before that looking at places more to get an idea of what’s out there.

Picking up here due to similar issues (albeit unfortunately not on beautiful Maui).

If I remember correctly, the Model 3 was:
Approach Angle: 30.4
Departure Angle: 33.4
Breakover Angle: 11.1

Thanks! The breakover angle seems to be the critical one here. Approach and departure angles seem to be comparable to full size SUVs so I would not expect any issues on normal roads or parking lots.

Is the following statement correct? "The maximum angle a ramp can have when driving over the top end of the ramp would be double the breakover angle". So if you have a very simple ramp with a horizontal surface at the top, then a straight ramp down with a sharp, non-rounded angle, and then a horizontal surface at the bottom, the maximum angle of the slope that a Model 3 could navigate would be 22.1° (or 40.6%). This sounds quite a lot to me (is it?), and on top of that, in most cases, the angle will be rounded which allows an even higher incline.

Agreed or do I have an error in this calculation?

Probably more of an issue is a situation as the one described by the original poster, where there is an incline in front of the decline.

Perhaps post over on the Hawaii forum and see if there's a local M3 owner who will help you out.

Ha ha. I think you're answering my OP from back in January because Tesl a Coil posted a question about breakover angles today.

FWIW, I ended up not buying that house. I don't remember if that was the one with the illegal ohana and the unpermitted work, or if that was just one of the ones we couldn't agree on a price on, because I did conclude that the Model 3 would have been able to handle it. I ended up buying a wonderful house with no driveway issues, 7 minutes walk from my canoe club.

Tesl a Coil: I'd recommend posting your question in a thread with more activity, or even starting a new thread. This one's been inactive until today for half a year.

Ha ha. I think you're answering my OP from back in January because Tesl a Coil posted a question about breakover angles today.

FWIW, I ended up not buying that house. I don't remember if that was the one with the illegal ohana and the unpermitted work, or if that was just one of the ones we couldn't agree on a price on, because I did conclude that the Model 3 would have been able to handle it. I ended up buying a wonderful house with no driveway issues, 7 minutes walk from my canoe club.

Tesl a Coil: I'd recommend posting your question in a thread with more activity, or even starting a new thread. This one's been inactive until today for half a year.

Ha... I missed that. Well congrats on the house!

Ha... I missed that. Well congrats on the house!

Thank you. It's actually the nicest house I've ever lived in in all of my 71 years, even if it were not in an ideal location with a wonderful view. With the location and the view, I don't think there's a better house, for my needs and wants, within my price range, anywhere. My realtor thinks it's the nicest house on Maui, but I'd qualify that with "in my price range" because I looked at a 5.5 million dollar house, just for kicks and giggles, because there was an Open House sign on it. I also looked at a condo that cost about half what this house cost, and had the most fantastic ocean view you could possibly imagine, but was less than 1/4 the size, was right over a busy street, and had no place to plug in an electric car.

Coming from a 2013 BMW 335i M sport to the model 3 performance I can say it has more clearance at the front and rear bumpers when talking about steep driveways. The wheels are so far out in the corners that the overhangs are less.

I have a silly steep driveway (my home is elevated 4 ft more than everyone else’s due to flooding worries by the builder). Driveway isn’t very long. So it’s very steep.