Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving abroad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tomorrow I will drive my Roadster for the first time out of Switzerland. I'm excited! B.t.w. in Switzerland there are more then 100 roadsters now! With a population of about 7 Million, we have the highest density of Tesla roadsters!

The trip will be a round trip to Germany, only. It will be about 400 Km - but as I am aware that I like to discover things, it will be more.
Eberhard was able to make 400 Km on one charge, so we will see. I hope, I will be able to charge at some point, but we'll see!

on my Way. First disappoinred, because where i wanted to take beakfast the Charging Station is broken allthough I allready Had payed ( Grauholz, texxenergy )
But now i m Charging in Deitingen where to my surprise they have 32 A and Not only 16 A As i thouht! Solar Panels also!

Well I did not have to charge, but I had to take breakfast!
Last time when I was in Deitingen, I was not able to find the 32 A plug, it is a little bit hidden, you have to open a second door, that is why my surprise.
But let's sum up: I'm back home, and it was great!
I never had to stop to charge, I charged when I had to stop!
I did take breakfast in Deitingen and charged with 32 A

th_a49369d9.jpg

Then I did drive to Freiburg in Germany. I did drive with 90 to 110 Km/h with the top on, as there was also some rain.
In Freiburg I visited a car dealer and looked at a car. As soon as I arrived I put the schuco adapter on my spare charging cable and put it to charge with 16 A.
After 90 minutes ( nice dealer, nice car ) I started my drive back home. I took a sandwich at astop without charging and drove back home. I did some food shopping and then put the car in my garage and charged it with 16 A for about 30 minutes before I went off to a friend to discuss... ( cars of course ), at his place i did plug in the car at a 16 A outlet, and after one hour of tea and discussions did drive home.
I arrived home with around 50 Km left.
The summary of the day :

th_397c730d.jpg

So, i would not have had to charge all that often, but it was my first trip of over 300 Km, so I just was cautious.

I love Tesla that they are conservative with their range number. I would say now, that a Tesla roadster can have easily a range of 400 Km!

And with the Tesla roadster:

Agreed. That is a great expression.

I was recently at a car stereo shop, looking for Alpine accessories (a remote), and the fellow asked "How often do you need to charge?" Well, I don't know how often I need to charge because I just plug it in every time I park, which is more often than I plug in my cell phone. I guess it's like asking a guy who lives as a gas station how often he needs to refuel. If you had a gas station at home in your garage then you might not even think about the whole refueling issue.

Well I did not have to charge, but I had to take breakfast!
Last time when I was in Deitingen, I was not able to find the 32 A plug, it is a little bit hidden, you have to open a second door, that is why my surprise.
But let's sum up: I'm back home, and it was great!
I did take breakfast in Deitingen and charged with 32 A

th_a49369d9.jpg

Then I did drive to Freiburg in Germany. I did drive with 90 to 110 Km/h with the top on, as there was also some rain.
In Freiburg I visited a car dealer and looked at a car. As soon as I arrived I put the schuco adapter on my spare charging cable and put it to charge with 16 A.
After 90 minutes ( nice dealer, nice car ) I started my drive back home. I took a sandwich at astop without charging and drove back home. I did some food shopping and then put the car in my garage and charged it with 16 A for about 30 minutes before I went off to a friend to discuss... ( cars of course ), at his place i did plug in the car at a 16 A outlet, and after one hour of tea and discussions did drive home.
I arrived home with around 50 Km left.
The summary of the day :

th_397c730d.jpg

So, i would not have had to charge all that often, but it was my first trip of over 300 Km, so I just was cautious.

I love Tesla that they are conservative with their range number. I would say now, that a Tesla roadster can have easily a range of 400 Km!

And with the Tesla roadster:

nice story and nice phrase. you had a quite low consumption too.