Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in heavy rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having this problem too. Whenever it rains I get water dripping from both the passenger and the drivers sides. It is right where the corner of the soft top meets the door frame. From the same spot you've pointed out. I checked and the flap is in the right position, but it still leaks. Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks!

This is the spot where, as a service tech once showed me, the little flap of rubber on the A-pillar side can be stuck under the rubber from the roof support, which causes a leak:

View attachment 71589View attachment 71590

This usually happens when putting on the soft top as the side support is rotated down.

I'm using the soft top right now. I can't quite tell where it is coming from.

Something like this?
CRC Food Grade Silicone Lubricant, (Net Weight: 10 oz) 16oz Aerosol: Power Tool Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

Try using a silicone lube, refresh the seals in that area. I juice all the time, so I use a food-grade based silicone since its what I have available. Also what top are your running? You can re-adjust the hard top and the amount of pressure it exerts on the seal.

Try using a silicone lube, refresh the seals in that area. I juice all the time, so I use a food-grade based silicone since its what I have available. Also what top are your running? You can re-adjust the hard top and the amount of pressure it exerts on the seal.
Back in my BMW E34 M5 days when the door rubber would squeak, I would swear by Gummi Pflege. I have not used it recently on my Roadster as I ran out but this reminds me I need to order more. Silicone lube, while doing the trick, might end up being very messy. Gummi Pflege is made exactly for this purpose of squeaky, leaky rubber on automobile doors (kudos to the Germans for designing something exactly suited to the purpose!).

Thanks. I just ordered that stuff. Though, it almost seems like something is installed incorrectly. Are there different rubber seals for the hardtop and soft top? I changed my car over in the spring from hard top to soft top and didn't change that rubber piece.

I have had that leak from the pillar come and go myself. Right now I am staying dry and not sure what stopped it. Another downside of a heavy rain is a 20% drop in range.

I too just ordered the Gummi Pfledge as I am frequently fighting creaks.

Thanks. I just ordered that stuff. Though, it almost seems like something is installed incorrectly. Are there different rubber seals for the hardtop and soft top? I changed my car over in the spring from hard top to soft top and didn't change that rubber piece.

The height of the windows is adjustable to meet the seal. Here's the section from the Owners Manual.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, I asked Tesla to do that during a service this summer. They said they adjusted the windows slightly to match the soft top. But, it doesn't seem to be leaking from the window contact point. It seems to be leaking from the windshield / soft top meeting point in the corners.

I'm using the soft top right now. I can't quite tell where it is coming from.

Something like this?
CRC Food Grade Silicone Lubricant, (Net Weight: 10 oz) 16oz Aerosol: Power Tool Lubricants: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

Yes that's the stuff. The spray bottle goes on very light and thin, it helps to recondition the seal. The spray is not messy. They also sell the tube type, that comes out very thick and can be messy as described, but you can just run a paper-towel across the seal to remove the excess. I have both types and use one or the other depending on how much I want to apply and where I'm applying it.

I missed the fact it was a soft-top, double check the adjustment on your cables. Make sure there's not anywhere water can run up and under the top, I can then drip down the sides / pillar area. Be careful, if they loosened and you tighten the cables up some they're quite wimpy. They'll stretch and break. Worse cable design I've ever seen, very under-designed for robustness. There's many threads on the Elise / Lotus forum about this as well regarding leaky roofs on soft-top & hardtop applications.