Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't drive my Tesla in heavy rain due to battery damage???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know for a fact this is done for every vehicle? I doubt it, esp. for ones to be delivered to customers.

Nissan did this with Leaf when it was still in development (earlier YouTube link is dead, found someone saved a copy of that snippet of the old Ustream video at
): Ripped Undercarriage Composite from the rain? but that doesn't mean they do that to EACH car or any customer cars.

Now, I wouldn't doubt they'd test (bound for) customer cars where they're showered with lots of water, which is standard industry practice. Too bad the video I pointed to at QC Issues -- Leaking roof/rear hinge seal is dead.
What are you saying? It's industry practice to test cars that are sold in wetter climates more stringently? Like extra water testing for cars in Seattle vs LA? Source?

I worked with manufacturing engineers formerly from Toyota and Tesla, never heard of anything close to that. At a previous company, we supplied components to Caterpillar for equipment used on every continent, there was never any location based difference in end of line quality checks.

What are you saying? It's industry practice to test cars that are sold in wetter climates more stringently? Like extra water testing for cars in Seattle vs LA? Source?

I worked with manufacturing engineers formerly from Toyota and Tesla, never heard of anything close to that. At a previous company, we supplied components to Caterpillar for equipment used on every continent, there was never any location based difference in end of line quality checks.
I think the point being made is that it's hard to believe that kind of abuse is done on ANY customer car, not just ones going to an particular rainy area.

That looks more like testing done on a limited number of test mules to verify the design or manufacturing processes, not something done on every car coming off the line. Drive it through a giant puddle, then tear it down to look for signs of water ingress in the battery, motor, etc.

Especially since it the manual says:

As with any electric vehicle, if your Tesla has been exposed to flooding, extreme weather events or has otherwise been submerged in water (especially in salt water), treat it as if it’s been in an accident and contact your insurance company for support. Do not attempt to operate the vehicle before Tesla Service has inspected it, but you should tow or move it away from any structures.

Nope.
Now, I wouldn't doubt they'd test (bound for) customer cars where they're showered with lots of water, which is standard industry practice. Too bad the video I pointed to at QC Issues -- Leaking roof/rear hinge seal is dead.
Skip to 44:20 of
what GM did in terms of water (showering) testing on Camaros. I wouldn't be surprised if they do that with all their vehicles (regardless of model) at the end of the line. It's another copy of the documentary I'd seen and was referring to.

So there's a story or two about Tesla batteries becoming flooded & ruined in heavy rain, resulting in $17,000 to $21,000 repair bills because Tesla doesn't cover that in the warranty.

Say what?? I'm on Rochester, NY, and sometimes we get heavy rain, just like anywhere.

1. How concerned should I be about this?
2. Can the battery be sealed off better to prevent this?

I understand that driving into salt water is particularly dangerous and that a submerged Tesla (as in a flood) will very likely suffer this damage. But driving through heavy rain?

PLEASE, what's the story on this and SHOULD I take precautions and does anybody sell rubber boots for Tesla batteries?

TIA,

- Richard
1. How concerned should I be about this?: Not concerned at all, unless you have a previously damaged battery. There are a couple million Tesla's on the road around the world, and only a handful of documented cases on this happening when the battery was not previously damaged, or left under water for a significant period of time (like days in a flood). Nothing is completely waterproof in all conditions, especially if it had been damaged.

2. Can the battery be sealed off better to prevent this?: The battery is already sealed at the factory. There is nothing more that needs to be done. If you hit something in the road, take it to Tesla to be inspected.

1. How concerned should I be about this?: Not concerned at all, unless you have a previously damaged battery. There are a couple million Tesla's on the road around the world, and only a handful of documented cases on this happening when the battery was not previously damaged, or left under water for a significant period of time (like days in a flood). Nothing is completely waterproof in all conditions, especially if it had been damaged.

2. Can the battery be sealed off better to prevent this?: The battery is already sealed at the factory. There is nothing more that needs to be done. If you hit something in the road, take it to Tesla to be inspected.
Got it. Thanks!

Handful? wk057 at Vendor - Preventative Maintenance regarding Battery Failures in early Model S vehicles (2012-2014) alone said over a year ago "as 057 currently has over twenty customer vehicles in the shop (yes, our shop is > 30,000 sqft), all of them with essentially the same battery issue, all out of OEM warranty, and these folks have very few options at their disposal."

As Condensation Failure Inside Battery Pack (BMS_F107 code) says
"The internet is full of 'my battery failed' posts but there are very few details about what that really means. In my case the actual battery cells in module 8 were in perfect condition at precisely 3.91v for each brick which was the resolution/sensitivity limit for the VOM we used. I believe I speak for Howard when I say our goal is to understand and shed light on the design issues and failure points and come up with solutions to mitigate them to the extent possible."

There are plenty of folks here w/S who've had pack failures to the point where Tesla replaced it under warranty or gave them a quote for a replacement pack (out of warranty). But yeah, we don't usually know why. I lamented at Rough probability of battery failure prior to warranty expiring? that nobody adds data to that old survey any longer.

Battery Survey « Plug In America is a recent snapshot. Look for the battery swap % in the table. Battery Survey « Plug In America is an old snapshot.

Condensation Failure Inside Battery Pack (BMS_F107 code) does point to breather valves. Search that thread for breather multiple times.

Handful? wk057 at Vendor - Preventative Maintenance regarding Battery Failures in early Model S vehicles (2012-2014) alone said over a year ago "as 057 currently has over twenty customer vehicles in the shop (yes, our shop is > 30,000 sqft), all of them with essentially the same battery issue, all out of OEM warranty, and these folks have very few options at their disposal."

"The internet is full of 'my battery failed' posts but there are very few details about what that really means. In my case the actual battery cells in module 8 were in perfect condition at precisely 3.91v for each brick which was the resolution/sensitivity limit for the VOM we used. I believe I speak for Howard when I say our goal is to understand and shed light on the design issues and failure points and come up with solutions to mitigate them to the extent possible."

There are plenty of folks here w/S who've had pack failures to the point where Tesla replaced it under warranty or gave them a quote for a replacement pack (out of warranty). But yeah, we don't usually know why. I lamented at Rough probability of battery failure prior to warranty expiring? that nobody adds data to that old survey any longer.

Battery Survey « Plug In America is a recent snapshot. Look for the battery swap % in the table. Battery Survey « Plug In America is an old snapshot.

Condensation Failure Inside Battery Pack (BMS_F107 code) does point to breather valves. Search that thread for breather multiple times.
Yow. At this point I'm just going to make like an Ostrich, try not to think about it any more, and rely on the fact that out of the millions of Teslas out there, this is a very rare occurrence unless one drives INTO water.

Thanks for your comprehensive post!!

Yow. At this point I'm just going to make like an Ostrich, try not to think about it any more, and rely on the fact that out of the millions of Teslas out there, this is a very rare occurrence unless one drives INTO water.

Thanks for your comprehensive post!!
I'd like to think Tesla has learned a thing or two about battery longevity after 10 years and building a few million cars. For instance, they don't let the A/C condensate puddle on top of the pack anymore (the first link in @cwerdna's post).

I had a replacement pack (under warranty) in my '14 S. A cell voltage sensor failed and started reporting whacky data to the BMS. Could very well have been water ingression/condensation issues mentioned.

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I don't have an Austin build Y with a 4860 structural pack. Time will tell, but I suspect the labor charge to replace structural packs might dwarf the cost of the pack itself, making an out-of-warranty battery replacement a "total the car" event on those cars.

Last edited:
I've driven ours for hours in heavy downpour with the wipers on full speed, hitting bad standing water dozens of times. No issues at all. (I should have stopped and waited for the storm to pass, that's how bad it was. Trucks pulled over, no one going over 45 on the freeway. Just felt adventurous I guess.)

I did this driving up to NH with a friend one weekend. Probably dropped down to 40 - probably should've dropped down further.. One thing I will say, driving in heavy rain severely decreased my range, and also the stock all season tires (Goodyears I think?) are great at hydroplaning!

Haven't crawled under the car to see what the trays underneath look like - I should do that one of these days..

Got it, this is the Model Y forum. wklk057s stated: "There are some definite trends with early battery packs failing in earlier Model S vehicles... from day 1 builds up to about Q4'2014 and some even Q1'2015... and any cars that have had Tesla-refurbished packs installed..."

It's not 2015 anymore and they didn't make Model Ys back then and model Ys use a different battery pack. in 2014 Tesla was breaking ground in the auto industry and had a steep learning curve.

The newer vehicles have benefited greatly from the lessons learned from the early vehicles. All vehicles have failures, Tesla is no exception. Having said that I'll stand by my previous post. For Model, 3/Y, and newer Model S/X vehicles, failure from water battery egress is rare unless there was existing damage or extenuating circumstances (i.e. flood, etc.).

Yeah, just to reiterate what @bfayer62 said, that information all pertains to early Model S vehicles, which definitely has a design flaw that channeled moisture from the A/C system into the battery pack.

Reality is, none of us have owned a Model 3/Y for twenty years to know it's true longevity. There are many Model 3 vehicles from as early as 2017 though, and way more from 2018. As far as I know, these 5 and 6 year old vehicles are almost all still going strong.

We don't have a massive number of posts on these forums from early Model 3 owners with battery failures.

Reactions: bfayer62
Buying a Tesla was the easiest car purchase process I have ever had, No slimy sales and backdoor crap, This is price, pickup and go
I really wish I could say the same.
  • After ordering the car, they scheduled a pickup window at a location 6.5 hrs. away AND at a time my wife was having surgery AND they wouldn't guarantee it would be there.
  • I was able to do the 2 weeks delay and luckily a new location had just opened up 1.5 hours distant. HOWEVER, it's in on an Indian Reservation, and for some bizarre NYS reason, I can't keep my vanity plates and have to get new ones and I still don't know how much finagling will be required with the State. So I gotta deal with the DMV on top of everything else before I pick up the car? God help me.
  • Then, the Tesla app would not accent the photos of my trade in, it kept erroring out. So, per support, I deleted & reinstalled the app and now there's no option to add photos! So I called support again, and they gave me an email address to send the photos to (someone at the Oneida location) and I've received no response acknowledging they were received. So I have to call support again to see what the heck is up.
Granted, no slimy salesperson, just a very rocky and incredibly frustrating process. I hate that it is ruining what should normally be a pretty exciting experience. I was really looking forward to getting the car. Now it's just another incredibly bothersome chore. Hopefully, once I get the car I can put this all behind me (except for trying to recover my former plates - arggg).

Oh, and I *just* received a text that my Tesla Ecommerce Package is arriving tomorrow. What the **** is that? Nobody had told me anything about this and I have no idea of what it is. Great, another thing to chase down. Sigh.

I really wish I could say the same.
  • After ordering the car, they scheduled a pickup window at a location 6.5 hrs. away AND at a time my wife was having surgery AND they wouldn't guarantee it would be there.
  • I was able to do the 2 weeks delay and luckily a new location had just opened up 1.5 hours distant. HOWEVER, it's in on an Indian Reservation, and for some bizarre NYS reason, I can't keep my vanity plates and have to get new ones and I still don't know how much finagling will be required with the State. So I gotta deal with the DMV on top of everything else before I pick up the car? God help me.
  • Then, the Tesla app would not accent the photos of my trade in, it kept erroring out. So, per support, I deleted & reinstalled the app and now there's no option to add photos! So I called support again, and they gave me an email address to send the photos to (someone at the Oneida location) and I've received no response acknowledging they were received. So I have to call support again to see what the heck is up.
Granted, no slimy salesperson, just a very rocky and incredibly frustrating process. I hate that it is ruining what should normally be a pretty exciting experience. I was really looking forward to getting the car. Now it's just another incredibly bothersome chore. Hopefully, once I get the car I can put this all behind me (except for trying to recover my former plates - arggg).

Oh, and I *just* received a text that my Tesla Ecommerce Package is arriving tomorrow. What the **** is that? Nobody had told me anything about this and I have no idea of what it is. Great, another thing to chase down. Sigh.
I sympathize with the issues you had, but in all honesty most of the issues were caused by the state NY, and bad timing that Tesla didn't control with your wife's situation.. Not sure what the app issue was caused by, but it seems like most people have no issues. Hope your wife's surgery went well.

Reactions: father_of_6