Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving in the snow - 85D vs 85 with snow tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla traction control and careful driving will tame the monstrous torque of the RWD car.

Yup. With Alan on this one (Hi, Alan, Congrats on P100D!). I used to go by his street, trying to get the rear end out on snow, at ~30mph, and the power shut down on the rear drive cars is so fast that you don't get a hint of slide, or wheel spin. It just doesn't let it happen. Traction control-off is another, deliberate, story. I've had both RWD/AWD.

I can't tell you what you can afford, but believe snows and RWD make clearance your only problem. If you drive aware of the weather, the margin up to AWD isn't a necessity. Get snows.

Ohio is tricky. Are you north or south of I70? (I lived in Dayton for a while) South of there you can probably get by with RWD and all seasons. But if you're already putting snows on your Honda, spring for the AWD. With the AWD you can probably get by on all seasons but the standard tires are much more 'summer' tires in my experience so you should swap them for winter tires if you want good traction At that point you will be golden. That said, the Tesla is a HEAVY car which helps the tires find traction even with RWD. But it also means there's more to get moving if you have hills in your neighborhood. The 'nanny' (stability control) is very capable like most modern cars.

Also note that the tires on the MS don't last long. Particularly the ones that fit the 21" wheels. I'm not done with my first set yet but they're wearing fast and everyone I talk to says mid teens is the best I can hope for. So you'll be buying and changing tires anyway. Put the winter tires on AWD or RWD

Last edited:
Ohio is tricky. Are you north or south of I70? (I lived in Dayton for a while) South of there you can probably get by with RWD and all seasons. But if you're already putting snows on your Honda, spring for the AWD. With the AWD you can probably get by on all seasons but the standard tires are much more 'summer' tires in my experience so you should swap them for winter tires if you want good traction At that point you will be golden. That said, the Tesla is a HEAVY car which helps the tires find traction even with RWD. But it also means there's more to get moving if you have hills in your neighborhood. The 'nanny' (stability control) is very capable like most modern cars.

Also note that the tires on the MS don't last long. Particularly the ones that fit the 21" wheels. I'm not done with my first set yet but they're wearing fast and everyone I talk to says mid teens is the best I can hope for. So you'll be buying and changing tires anyway. Put the winter tires on AWD or RWD
I live on I70 :)
Thanks everyone for the advice. Great help on this forum.

Too little detail here. All seasons do not equal all seasons, get one with a high mileage warranty and it is hard plastic not rubber and good for nothing.
By 4yo tires are hardening from age, this is something people need to understand with snow tires, they are usually shot from age before wear.
Driver skill is a HUGE factor in if RWD can work.
I have driven RWD Caprice and Roadmasters thru many a winter in the Green Bay area LRR or high mileage warranty all seasons SUCK in snow, but a softer all season can be just fine. Snowtires when new can be awesome BUT just be aware they will harden and likely be shot long before the tread is gone.
The Roadmaster and Caprice wagons are actually similar in weight to the MS just a little lighter and had a good bit of lowend torque for a ICE and no traction control, they did have ABS but if the ABS is active you are on the brakes too hard.

I have a P85 and the car is great in the snow (provided you know how to drive in the snow). I faced my first blizzard (8 inches of snow on the roads, which hadn’t yet been cleared) the winter after I bought the car on a trip back from the airport and it preformed flawlessly. I raised the air suspension to full height and had no problems getting home, and the route included some major hills near my neighborhood.

A few winters later we had another major blizzard (20” this time) and I was about the only one able to get out of my neighborhood after the first ploughing. But I learned from this experience that when the car skids in deep snow and ice, as it did this time, turning off traction control give you better control. Once I did that, I had no problems navigating the hills in my neighborhood.

Reactions: Knightowl
+1 on RWD with snows.

For the first two years I just used the all-seasons on our 85, and even that was manageable. Even then I had more issues stopping and turning, which AWD does nothing to help, than getting going. As the All-seasons started to wear I got a set of snows and have had no problems. Last year I was out in a storm on un-plowed roads with the snow up to the bumper and it drove great.

Because your travel is essential, perhaps even more so when the weather is bad, I think the best is just barely good enough.
Thus: AWD is required, as is air suspension. Air suspension because on "high" you'll have excellent ground clearance so snow will not be a problem.
As for tires, even in a milder aaa than northern Finland the Finns do it best!
This is what I would put on my car were I there:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 - Non-studded Tire / Nokian Tires
two people have already enjoined them on this thread. These give decent wear too even though they're not cheap.
zero question I'd have winter rims. You can find used Tesla rims on TMC or elsewhere. I definitely would ahem an extra set of rims.

FWIW, the last winter car I had was in Park City, Utah and the car was a Porsche 964 with Hakka's. As I passed a stuck Suburban with snow tires I thought about my choice. I thought I was being indulgent. Maybe so, but you cannot imagine how much better they are until you have them during inclement winter weather.

I know this recommendation is the most expensive option. I also know it will be worth it the first time you must drive through a winter mess.
Nowhere in Ohio needs these very often. But when you do it's too late to get them.

(I am reminded of the ancient Packard slogan: "ask the [person] who owns one". Not a single Nokian owner I have met would choose another winter tire.