Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving Range from Bay Area to South Lake Tahoe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Corte Madera, CA which is in Marin County North of San Francisco. I have a house at Zephyr Cove in South Lake Tahoe which is 194 miles. The challenge is I need to clear Echo Summit on Why 50 at 7,382 feet. I know there are lots of S owners in Marin. Have any of you measured the electrical consumption on the way up to Tahoe? I know there are 2 superchargers in Folsom but I'd prefer to drive straight thru.

Thanks

Bill Zeller

What model S do you have? I've got an S70 and coming from Sacramento I'm pretty sure I can make it in one shot, but it still makes me nervous. (I can drive to Reno across 80 just fine, but there are still times around Donner where I start to get a little anxious if I watch the range meter).

If you've got an 85-100 you can probably do it if you obey the speed limit and don't hit any headwinds. If you want to actually have fun, I'd plan on a 5-10 minute stop in Folsom, or even Vacaville on your way out there if you just want to get it out of the way. If you do decide to go for Folsom, use the second one (Palladio); the first (Folsom Outlets) is arguably a little faster to get to, but there's only four stalls and they always seem slow to me.

I don't think doing it without recharging in Folsom is likely. I've done from the Bay Area to Stateline NV, and that elevation change certainly makes a big difference. Throw in some cabin heating, and your consumption will be significant.

Hi. I'm in San Rafael. I go to Tahoe the "other way" over I80. I definitely charge up in Rocklin or Roseville before hitting the hill. It puts a cushion on the range and gives me some miles before having to charge up at Tahoe. Suggest what has been mentioned, pick up some kWs in Folsom. Whatever amount of time you allow will only help.

Live in the Penninsula and have a place in SLT too running an 85D. Need to charge at Folsom, only for about 15 minutes or so. In theory you could probably get away from Corte Madera but it would be really tight and if you hit any snags like heavy winds or sudden cold weather and you could be in trouble. You would also have to set the cruise at 65mph the whole way on 80, which would put you in the super slow lane.

I agree, I generally hate stopping but this is pretty painless and you want to have some juice when you get up there in case you need to drive around.

Folsom is super quick off of 80 and seriously, 15 or 20 minutes and you are good to go, a quick bathroom break and you are set. We have a dog we sometimes bring up there and in the few minutes it takes to get the dog out for a quick break, the car is good to go.

You should be able to make it. But the first time, simply plan on stopping at Folsom and topping up. You can decide your time/charge tradeoff on the spot. Don't forget you're heading in to cold weather which not only drains faster while driving but also drain while parked for battery maintenance. And there's no supercharger up there. So unless you have a garage waiting with a 240V charge outlet, don't cut it close (at least not the first time).

Bonus fun though. On the way back you have two convenient Superchargers (Vacaville and Napa) to let you push your luck back to Corte Madera with a bailout option.