Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving with left foot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my M3 and look forward every day to driving it to/from work, etc. This past weekend I took a stupid fall while skiing and broke my right ankle which is now in a splint. I have been doing some research on left foot driving and learned that reaction time is slower for emergency braking, however with EAP and automatic emergency braking I should still be safe for my short commute to work driving with my left foot. Still need to find out if its legal in NJ - looking for some advice...

That would be strange. No muscle memory to help you out. I certainly wouldn't depend on AEB to help you out, but EAP would help once you get going. I can't imagine the law would have anything to say about which foot you drive with, and probably can't tell anyway. But that wouldn't make much of an excuse if you failed to stop. I'd give it a try if a few practice runs were successful and traffic wasn't too aggressive.

Agree with taking Uber. Those of us that have experimented with left foot braking as a performance technique (in my case in an ICE vehicle) will tell you that it takes a long time to develop appropriate subtlety for braking...but the accelerator especially on the 3 requires much more finesse than braking does, so I would never do it. Do not think there is any system in the car that will brake properly for you under all circumstances.

Thanks for the input - I still may explore the legalities of left-foot driving but I will most likely not be doing the driving. Problem is I am out of commission for 6-8 weeks and although the drive to work is less than 10 miles and lyft is not too expensive, it will add up over time. Most days I can get a ride from colleagues so that helps...

Thanks for the input - I still may explore the legalities of left-foot driving but I will most likely not be doing the driving. Problem is I am out of commission for 6-8 weeks and although the drive to work is less than 10 miles and lyft is not too expensive, it will add up over time. Most days I can get a ride from colleagues so that helps...
Maybe you can join a vanpool?