Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driving without front valance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

A few months ago, my beloved Model AS was damaged by road debris, breaking a fog light, an active louvre, the mesh grille and some of the chrome across the louvre. I repaired it, but didn't replace the bumper at this time as the cost was prohibitive. There was a couple of minor splits in the bumper, with missing paint, but it wasn't so bad I felt I had to get it done instantly.

However, it seems that damage must've been done to the front Valance as it has worked its way loose and managed to get caught on kerb in a car park and it has now been twisted out of shape and half ripped off.

I've already requested a quote for parts from Tesla (that's gonna hurt) but I'll have to arrange painting of the bumper before fitting and it means I could be stuck for some time. My question is this:

Is it safe to remove the Valance and drive without it? I know it will likely effect the WH/Mile due to aerodynamics, but will having that valance removed expose any parts to damage from stones and other normal road debris, leading to more costs down the line? I'm trying to work out ways of making the car safe for use, with or without the valance as I expect it will take several weeks for parts from Tesla and the painting to be done. I can't really have no car for that long.

Thanks guys for any information you may have that could help me.

As long as you don't have weather you should be Ok. Don't closely follow dump trucks (er, 'lorries'), don't go through mud, and so on.

It will be embarrassing but each of us has our tolerance for that.

Of course if you have ultrasonic sensors the front will warn.

Thanks for that. You’ve kinda confirmed my thoughts. I need to drive to London next week, 260 miles. I use autopilot all the way so it keeps my distance, I guess I need to just worry about weather.

I’m gonna have a look at to see if I can secure it until I get replacement parts but just wanted a second opinion on driving without it if I needed to.