TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Drop the "Motors" from "Tesla Motors"?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by smorgasbord, Dec 28, 2015.

1. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Over at The Motley Fool, Tim Beyers thinks 2016 is the right year for Tesla Motors to become just Tesla.

Like Apple Computer went to Apple after the iPhone announcement, Tesla Motors should use the Powerwall rollout to change its name to Tesla. That Powerwall is part of Tesla Motors and not part of Solar City is, I think, quite interesting, btw.

I think this makes a lot of sense. The Tesla.com domain is parked, so it's presumably available for a price.

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

#2 AudubonB, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    Well, as the forum's bastion of fuddiduddiness, I adore legacy names. As in: American Express. Now, when was the last time AMEX delivered a cross-continental letter or package? But they wisely haven't altered their name for some 160 or 170 years.

So you can easily read where I stand on this.

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

[SUB]www.teslaclub.com already redirects to the teslamotors.com site...

( So if they dropped the "motors", "Tesla Motors Club" would seem less logical. )

[/SUB]

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It sounds like a good move, but I don't think it's necessary. While we all know that Tesla is about more more than just EVs, the Tesla Energy brand takes car of the energy storage side of the business.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

6. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

As the individual businesses mature, I can see each entity become is own line of business or subsidiary (Telsa Motors, Tesla Energy, etc) with an overarching holding company.

7. Auzie

Auzie Tree Hugger Member

A Tesla by any other name would be as electrifying...

Tesla - not unique, there are too many Tesla's around (businesses). That said, Tesla name is built into the brand and business name needs to include Tesla

Tesla Motors - ok, but not inclusive/representative of all Tesla businesses

Tesla Energy - sounds powerful and short, to the point

Tesla Energy & Transportation - inclusive, representative of business, a bit long, might turn into Tesla EAT

Tesla Cars and Energy - Tesla CAE

Tesla Sustainable Energy & Transportation - inclusive, representative of business, quite long, might turn into TESET or TESSET - symmetrical and cute but Tesla is a bit lost in there

Tesla Clean Energy - a bit moralistic and judgmental

Tesla Sun Energy - I like it but not likely to happen

Tesla Sustainable Energy - sustainable is such a buzz word, a bit worn out from frequent use

Tesla Power - nice short sharp

Tesla Clean Power - a bit judgmental

Tesla Sun Power - ok but not correct

Tesla Electric Power - zippy

8. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

As Auzie said, Tesla by itself is not unique, there are other businesses named "Tesla." Heck there's even a band named "Tesla."

I can see them making the other parts of the company subsidiaries though.

9. Ludus

Ludus Member

There are a lot of other businesses named Apple too :)

I like plain Tesla for the way it fits better with the Adam Jonas ideas about Tesla running it's own autonomous vehicles with it's own Uber like App. That's quite a different business that would operate in parallel with selling cars like a more conventional automaker. Motors seems anchored to the legacy business. I could see Tesla Motors as a subsidiary of Tesla like Tesla Mobility or Tesla Energy.