Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drop the "Motors" from "Tesla Motors"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over at The Motley Fool, Tim Beyers thinks 2016 is the right year for Tesla Motors to become just Tesla.

Like Apple Computer went to Apple after the iPhone announcement, Tesla Motors should use the Powerwall rollout to change its name to Tesla. That Powerwall is part of Tesla Motors and not part of Solar City is, I think, quite interesting, btw.

I think this makes a lot of sense. The Tesla.com domain is parked, so it's presumably available for a price.

Well, as the forum's bastion of fuddiduddiness, I adore legacy names. As in: American Express. Now, when was the last time AMEX delivered a cross-continental letter or package? But they wisely haven't altered their name for some 160 or 170 years.

So you can easily read where I stand on this.

Last edited:
[SUB]www.teslaclub.com already redirects to the teslamotors.com site...

( So if they dropped the "motors", "Tesla Motors Club" would seem less logical. )

[/SUB]

A Tesla by any other name would be as electrifying...

Tesla - not unique, there are too many Tesla's around (businesses). That said, Tesla name is built into the brand and business name needs to include Tesla

Tesla Motors - ok, but not inclusive/representative of all Tesla businesses

Tesla Energy - sounds powerful and short, to the point

Tesla Energy & Transportation - inclusive, representative of business, a bit long, might turn into Tesla EAT

Tesla Cars and Energy - Tesla CAE

Tesla Sustainable Energy & Transportation - inclusive, representative of business, quite long, might turn into TESET or TESSET - symmetrical and cute but Tesla is a bit lost in there

Tesla Clean Energy - a bit moralistic and judgmental

Tesla Sun Energy - I like it but not likely to happen

Tesla Sustainable Energy - sustainable is such a buzz word, a bit worn out from frequent use

Tesla Power - nice short sharp

Tesla Clean Power - a bit judgmental

Tesla Sun Power - ok but not correct

Tesla Electric Power - zippy

As Auzie said, Tesla by itself is not unique, there are other businesses named "Tesla." Heck there's even a band named "Tesla."

I can see them making the other parts of the company subsidiaries though.

There are a lot of other businesses named Apple too :)

I like plain Tesla for the way it fits better with the Adam Jonas ideas about Tesla running it's own autonomous vehicles with it's own Uber like App. That's quite a different business that would operate in parallel with selling cars like a more conventional automaker. Motors seems anchored to the legacy business. I could see Tesla Motors as a subsidiary of Tesla like Tesla Mobility or Tesla Energy.