Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dropped my M3 with Unplugged Performance Spring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unplugged Performance has an installation manual! This makes me much more comfortable about doing the install myself. Hopefully my car will arrive in a few weeks.

This manual helps for removal, but installation of the springs is proving MUCH more difficult. The orientation of the springs is not the same so the tops do not line up with the top hats the same. I found this out the hard way. You must line everything up properly before re assembling. This is not an easy thing to do unless I am missing something.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
This manual helps for removal, but installation of the springs is proving MUCH more difficult. The orientation of the springs is not the same so the tops do not line up with the top hats the same. I found this out the hard way. You must line everything up properly before re assembling. This is not an easy thing to do unless I am missing something.
So any tips on how to get it right?

@silentsnow31802 - I spoke to another guy who also said the same thing (but he didn’t do it). You would be able provide more details? It’s something along making sure the spring are aligned everything when putting it back together right? This also apply to the rears or just the front? Thanks.

So any tips on how to get it right?

@silentsnow31802 - I spoke to another guy who also said the same thing (but he didn’t do it). You would be able provide more details? It’s something along making sure the spring are aligned everything when putting it back together right? This also apply to the rears or just the front? Thanks.

I believe it only applies to the front. Worth noting I gave up and reinstalled my stock stuff.

The top hat of the front shocks, where the top bolts to the body of the car. On other cars I have seen the 3 bolts are symmetrical and can be put back in any orientation. On the 3 they are not symmetrical and the orientation must be the same as it was taken off. The top coil of the Unplugged springs do not stop in the same place as the stockers so you have to figure out how to do this before you release the tension of the spring onto the top of the shock body or your basically screwed.

Once I got the orientation right, for me, the spring sat crooked and the bottom tighter wound portion was crammed together making it completely useless. The spring did not seem to sit against the top had flat like the stock one did. I have been meaning to ask Unplugged about this but I have not got a chance. Maybe they can answer here?

I believe it only applies to the front. Worth noting I gave up and reinstalled my stock stuff.

The top hat of the front shocks, where the top bolts to the body of the car. On other cars I have seen the 3 bolts are symmetrical and can be put back in any orientation. On the 3 they are not symmetrical and the orientation must be the same as it was taken off. The top coil of the Unplugged springs do not stop in the same place as the stockers so you have to figure out how to do this before you release the tension of the spring onto the top of the shock body or your basically screwed.

Once I got the orientation right, for me, the spring sat crooked and the bottom tighter wound portion was crammed together making it completely useless. The spring did not seem to sit against the top had flat like the stock one did. I have been meaning to ask Unplugged about this but I have not got a chance. Maybe they can answer here?

@UnpluggedP - Would you be able to speak to the alignment of the spring and tophat when reinstalling? Thanks

Yeah, some more installation help would be nice. I'm blowing a TON of hours at a professional shop getting my springs installed today. I'm frightened of what this will cost. The instructions don't show how you install the springs over the strut, which appears to require cutting a hat-shaped cover on the strut. Also, both of my strut/springs appear to be bound (the bottom three coils are practically touching), just as the UP site says is "INCORRECT," yet they have no advice on how to fix it (they said to uncompress and recompress the spring, which is the "reboot your computer" advice of the suspension world, except less likely to help). We're going to drop the car and see if that changes anything, but so far I'm pretty concerned...

I don’t have my 3 yet, but I’ve had 2 previous cars both lowered..one sloppy with just springs, the other w/coilovers which was a much better ride.. I’m 36 years old and still want to mod my M3. Just know if you plan on lowering ...do it right and adjust camber after it settles, and make sure your wife can drive it, so you’re not at home grinding teeth worried she’ll botttom out. Or get coilovers and adjust to your liking. Nobody knows when air suspension will be an option. Likely later this year with AWD but purely speculation!

Last edited:
Yeah, some more installation help would be nice. I'm blowing a TON of hours at a professional shop getting my springs installed today. I'm frightened of what this will cost. The instructions don't show how you install the springs over the strut, which appears to require cutting a hat-shaped cover on the strut. Also, both of my strut/springs appear to be bound (the bottom three coils are practically touching), just as the UP site says is "INCORRECT," yet they have no advice on how to fix it (they said to uncompress and recompress the spring, which is the "reboot your computer" advice of the suspension world, except less likely to help). We're going to drop the car and see if that changes anything, but so far I'm pretty concerned...

These are the same exact problems I am having. I am speaking with Unplugged about it through email. Will update when I have something.

Any luck getting resolution? I was told "we're talking to Hyperco" but haven't heard anything in a week. I'm starting to get a bit frustrated.

I have heard nothing. I installed the springs anyways over this last weekend. Still had the same issue.

I am going to run them for a while then check on them. They feel fine however I do feel like im hitting bump stops now on the larger bumps or road elevation changes on the highway. That could just be the stiffer part of the spring though? The rears went in without any issues at all.

To answer the questions:

1) The drive over bumps is as it was before but just got a little bit slower. You can tell the quality of these springs from the drive. I haven't driven it up my driveway ramp yet, which is at a pretty good incline. The car has been at Tesla Service center getting the chargeport door fixed.

2) The install was about $300. I do not believe it include the alignment but I can get an alignment for $60 bucks in LA after it settles a bit. Believe it or not, the install time was only about 2 hours. It was pretty quick.

Any update on how the ride has been?

1. Speed bumps?
2. 5 people in car?

Have there been any issues?

Any update on how the ride has been?

1. Speed bumps?
2. 5 people in car?

Have there been any issues?
Moderate speed bumps have not been an issue. The steeper speed bumps do wind up being an issue. There is some scraping mainly on the front of the back wheel well since the plastic there is lower. I don't believe the battery area has come into play.

Have not had 5 people in the car yet. I have had 4, two of which are teenage girls so they don't weigh a lot. No issues there.

Having said the above, I do believe the rear is lower on the moderate springs than I would have liked. It wound up being a 2 in drop instead of a 1.5in drop. I wish it would have been a 1.25 in drop all around. The plus side is that it looks really cool and drives super nice when it is that low.....

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I've had UP Moderate springs installed for 2 weeks now and liking it alot. Ride quality feels the same but cornering feels better then stock. Also the front bumper lip on the Model 3 tilts up a little so it helps with clearance. My Lexus IS was dropped 1.2" in the front and area's where I would normally scrape I dont with the Model 3. The rear is definitely lower then the front but I dont mind it. Looks alot better then the stock hight.
IMG_1197(Edited).jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rlee21
I've had UP Moderate springs installed for 2 weeks now and liking it alot. Ride quality feels the same but cornering feels better then stock. Also the front bumper lip on the Model 3 tilts up a little so it helps with clearance. My Lexus IS was dropped 1.2" in the front and area's where I would normally scrape I dont with the Model 3. The rear is definitely lower then the front but I dont mind it. Looks alot better then the stock hight.View attachment 303699

Mine looks exactly the same and feels exactly as you described. I also dont like the rear is lower than the front. Maybe there is a way we can fix this. Small spring spacers? Jut needs a 1/4 inch or so.

Reactions: dgaultiere
Moderate speed bumps have not been an issue. The steeper speed bumps do wind up being an issue. There is some scraping mainly on the front of the back wheel well since the plastic there is lower. I don't believe the battery area has come into play.

Have not had 5 people in the car yet. I have had 4, two of which are teenage girls so they don't weigh a lot. No issues there.

Having said the above, I do believe the rear is lower on the moderate springs than I would have liked. It wound up being a 2 in drop instead of a 1.5in drop. I wish it would have been a 1.25 in drop all around. The plus side is that it looks really cool and drives super nice when it is that low.....

Much appreciated response. I am hoping to eventually see what the mild drop looks like and how people like them.

Reactions: dgaultiere
I've had UP Moderate springs installed for 2 weeks now and liking it alot. Ride quality feels the same but cornering feels better then stock. Also the front bumper lip on the Model 3 tilts up a little so it helps with clearance. My Lexus IS was dropped 1.2" in the front and area's where I would normally scrape I dont with the Model 3. The rear is definitely lower then the front but I dont mind it. Looks alot better then the stock hight.View attachment 303699
Thanks for sharing this. Your photo looks really good and the front/rear looks more even than most other photos I’ve seen. Is this just because you’re parked on a slight incline?

Also love your blacked out stilettos! You happy with them?

Thanks for sharing this. Your photo looks really good and the front/rear looks more even than most other photos I’ve seen. Is this just because you’re parked on a slight incline?

Also love your blacked out stilettos! You happy with them?

I think its just the angle of the picture. From the distance its not too noticeable. I'm happy with my powder coat. It turned out nice and also having a coat of ceramic on them makes it really easy to clean including my calipers.
IMG_1171.jpg