Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dropped off for Xpel Ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What brand? Was the DIY very hard?

@acarney - I used CarPro cQuartz (original, not UK). Applying the ceramic coating was much, much easier than normal wax - so much so, that I did four coats over two days. I purchased the smaller 30ml bottle on Amazon for something like $50. I did all paint and roof glass four times with one 30ml bottle. The windshield got AquaPel (what I use on all my cars). Longevity wise, I will be good for about two+ years. I did ZERO color correction, compounding, clay barring, etc. as my paint was flawless, and I didn't want to remove any of that already thin/soft paint Tesla allegedly uses. I do apply Beadmaker on occasion - takes all but two minutes, but gives you that freshly waxed slippery feeling and shine. YMMV. :)

@jebinc
Do you notice a difference in the layers? I've heard anything after 2 is pointless and even 2nd is questionable.
Don't know how true that all is. But they do say the same thing with sealers. Sealer on sealer will not benefit you but wax on sealer will etc.. Any how just wondering what your personal experience is thus far.

@jebinc
Do you notice a difference in the layers? I've heard anything after 2 is pointless and even 2nd is questionable.
Don't know how true that all is. But they do say the same thing with sealers. Sealer on sealer will not benefit you but wax on sealer will etc.. Any how just wondering what your personal experience is thus far.

The 2nd coat went on and off easier than the first. Coats two and three were applied the next day - letting the first coats cure at least eight hours. Was easy to wait as the weather was bad so I focused on ceramic and accessorizing for those two rainy days in June. I just took some drone aerial shots... The car is dusty as I haven't washed it in several days. You can see, still a good shine! :)

Edit: With ceramic, I read more than three coats could be a waste. Since I only had a little left in the bottle, I through it on - even if just a placebo effect. About a week later, I sprayed on some BeadMaker for slickness. Took less than five minutes for that. YMMV.

DJI_0071.JPG
DJI_0075.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: tfraley
That’s MSM, right? Man I can’t wait to see what the Deep Blue Metallic ("DBM") looks like with that stuff on it!!

@acarney - It will look AWESOME! I almost went with the DBM, instead of MSM (w/White interior). The DBM looks fantastic in bright sunshine, but kinda darker when the sun isn't out. Being I live on the west (rainy) side of the state, I chose MSM - which most of my cars have been over the years. The DBM was very tempting - especially with the white interior! :)

When is yours due to arrive at your house?

@acarney - It will look AWESOME! I almost went with the DBM, instead of MSM (w/White interior). The DBM looks fantastic in bright sunshine, but kinda darker when the sun isn't out. Being I live on the west (rainy) side of the state, I chose MSM - which most of my cars have been over the years. The DBM was very tempting - especially with the white interior! :)

When is yours due to arrive at your house?

I kinda wish the blue was a little more vibrant in the shade and at night, but you’re right, when the sun is out it just glows!

I’m hoping soon, I’ve already been matched with a car and it’s sitting in Seattle. I was just waiting for the WA sales tax exemption which apparently is loaded into Tesla system as of today. I emailed my delivery guy but he didn’t get back to me so hopefully I hear something tomorrow. Just need to make final payment and then schedule it to be shipped over to the east side of the state, maybe 3-10 days total?

I always got some of my accessories I ordered from Tesla. (14-50 adapter, phone cord, wireless adapter [Even though it said 2-3 week shipping time... I ordered it last Thursday, lol])

I need to order a couple things from Abstract Ocean (Interior center console wrap, PPF for door handles, decals for interior door open buttons) and then I need to figure out some good protection for the white interior...

Then jack pads and working on a second set of wheels and winter tires and I can put the wallet away, lol

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I kinda wish the blue was a little more vibrant in the shade and at night, but you’re right, when the sun is out it just glows!

I’m hoping soon, I’ve already been matched with a car and it’s sitting in Seattle. I was just waiting for the WA sales tax exemption which apparently is loaded into Tesla system as of today. I emailed my delivery guy but he didn’t get back to me so hopefully I hear something tomorrow. Just need to make final payment and then schedule it to be shipped over to the east side of the state, maybe 3-10 days total?

I always got some of my accessories I ordered from Tesla. (14-50 adapter, phone cord, wireless adapter [Even though it said 2-3 week shipping time... I ordered it last Thursday, lol])

I need to order a couple things from Abstract Ocean (Interior center console wrap, PPF for door handles, decals for interior door open buttons) and then I need to figure out some good protection for the white interior...

Then jack pads and working on a second set of wheels and winter tires and I can put the wallet away, lol

Did you say, “Jack Pads”? Get these high quality machined ones, you won’t regret it!

Best Jack pads ?

Congrats on the other accessories and be sure to post pictures when yours arrives and is photo ready!

Did you say, “Jack Pads”? Get these high quality machined ones, you won’t regret it!

Best Jack pads ?

Congrats on the other accessories and be sure to post pictures when yours arrives and is photo ready!

Yep, I’m pretty sure those are the ones I was planning to get. Do they have any indentation on the bottom to fit those jacks that have like a little raised round part on them... or are these pads completely flat on the bottom?

Yep, I’m pretty sure those are the ones I was planning to get. Do they have any indentation on the bottom to fit those jacks that have like a little raised round part on them... or are these pads completely flat on the bottom?

I believe they do, but I will check in the morning. They are smaller than the hockey puck sized ones and fit well in the truck cubby on the left side of the trunk.

$1000 is definitely on the cheaper end of ceramic coating packages including prep, which may explain some of the imperfections you are still seeing after the coating process. Xpel does make an awesome coating!

Yea it was brought in for ceramic like a week after I picked it up, they claim they did some correction, but I think that meant we polished and didn't correct.

Either way only plans to hold onto for a year or two them trade up to performance version of next years possibly. I love the car way too much I wish I have gotten the performance version lol.

Well no ppf for you now. I don’t know many shops that will put ppf over ceramic. You can put ppf ON ceramic but not the other way around.

You would need to polish/compound the paint now to remove ceramic in order to add ppf. Even in a year or 2 since it seems your warranty is a 4-5 year coating.
Which is it? Shops “won’t put PPF OVER ceramic” OR “You can put PPF ON Ceramic”?o_O

Well no ppf for you now. I don’t know many shops that will put ppf over ceramic. You can put ppf ON ceramic but not the other way around.

You would need to polish/compound the paint now to remove ceramic in order to add ppf. Even in a year or 2 since it seems your warranty is a 4-5 year coating.

Which is it? Shops “won’t put PPF OVER ceramic” OR “You can put PPF ON Ceramic”?o_O

:) yes, you can put CERAMIC ON PPF, but not the other way around ...unless they remove the ceramic.. His statement was apparently not read carefully.

Ceramic will continue to harden after applied and forms a hard, slick surface which is why dirt, bugs, etc will wash off easily as well as yield a fabulous shine. I have HOV stickers I haven't had applied yet to my car (eventually my husband will want them on if he has to drive in to work and needs to use my car for some reason, his already has them on); but when I do need them on, I'll need the guys to work to remove the ceramic over the area that it's been applied over on my PPF already. Extra work for them and then I'll want the area re-coated with ceramic after it's done so more expense. Thanks to California that will be 4 areas of the car due to the fact we get 4 stickers to apply.

Kind of hated to go this route and expense to have them take the ceramic off in these areas, but got my car in September 2018 and really wanted the PPF on ASAP. The newer HOV stickers for Calif were going to give you an extra year of use but you couldn't apply for them until January 1, so I decided after talking to our shop to do the ceramic when the PPF was being installed; and IF I really needed to get the HOV stickers put on the car, would bite the bullet and have the extra work done then. I so love the car without any stickers on.

Last edited:
@SMAlset
I'm in SoCal as well.
FYI I'll let you know but I'm in the same boat with the HOV stickers.
There is a guy on here that sells cling stickers that are custom cut for HOV.
I ordered them but haven't applied them

The idea is you can put them on and take them off. Kinda like cling for windows
My hope is it will still work well on the ceramic, never got an answer when asking him.
It's sitting in my glove, just havn't tried applying it to the car just yet.

Since it sticks to a slick surface better like windows I would think it would work well.

Again I'll keep you posted, Will try it one of these coming days.

Reactions: SMAlset
Yea it was brought in for ceramic like a week after I picked it up, they claim they did some correction, but I think that meant we polished and didn't correct.

Either way only plans to hold onto for a year or two them trade up to performance version of next years possibly. I love the car way too much I wish I have gotten the performance version lol.

When you upgrade if you are willing to make the drive down to us in North County SD I'll be sure to take care of you on your next ceramic coating service ;). All our products and coatings are designed specifically for us and my brand www.ethoscarcare.com

@SMAlset
I'm in SoCal as well.
FYI I'll let you know but I'm in the same boat with the HOV stickers.
There is a guy on here that sells cling stickers that are custom cut for HOV.
I ordered them but haven't applied them

The idea is you can put them on and take them off. Kinda like cling for windows
My hope is it will still work well on the ceramic, never got an answer when asking him.
It's sitting in my glove, just havn't tried applying it to the car just yet.

Since it sticks to a slick surface better like windows I would think it would work well.

Again I'll keep you posted, Will try it one of these coming days.

Hey did you ever try putting the HOV sticker on? And what's the company that sells the cling stickers?

I got the Xpel PPF and a year later I got the Fusion Ceramic Coating to increase water sheeting and prevent spotting. It's terrible. Spots like crazy. I regret having done it. I used to joe able to just spray Griot detailer on the car, wipe with a microfiber towel and BOOM!--DONE. Now it's an ordeal where I have to foam, rinse, and dry it endlessly with microfiber towels--and it still spots. In my experience Xpel Fusion ceramic coating doesn't work with their PPF. No sheeting, only spots. Don't waste your money. The Xpel PPF provides better protection by itself.