Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drunk Driving and AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how would this work. Assuming Level 5 is enabled and can drive fully autonomous so you have a few drinks and set it to go home. You go through a DUI checkpoint. Is it cool as it can drive by itself? How will they know it was the car and not you driving by itself? I don't drink and drive but this could certainly change my night life if I had a safe ride home. No Uber where I live.

• Disagree
Reactions: kort677
So how would this work. Assuming Level 5 is enabled and can drive fully autonomous so you have a few drinks and set it to go home. You go through a DUI checkpoint. Is it cool as it can drive by itself? How will they know it was the car and not you driving by itself? I don't drink and drive but this could certainly change my night life if I had a safe ride home. No Uber where I live.

My guess is at first people will get tickets and have to go to court and the car itself will have records to prove that the driver wasn't handling the car. Probably at first only some states will allow this.

Also, if your car can drive itself and you are drunk, don't sit in the driver seat.

12 states have outlawed DUI checkpoints as unconstitutional.

Now, In my state:

Pursuant to State v. Gerschoffer 500 N.E.2d 158 (Ind. 1986),DUI check points are legal in the State of Indiana, however, they must be conducted properly. All check points must be organized by supervisory law enforcement personnel and advertised in advance. This means individual officers cannot take it upon themselves to set up a makeshift checkpoint and force your compliance. Cars must be stopped using a neutral formula, for example, every 4th car to go through will be stopped. Officers cannot randomly select cars or base stops on any type of profiling. Check points must be safe. They must be well lit, provide adequate space to make a turn off for those choosing to not go through, be clearly marked with signs and clearly identifiable police officers and vehicles. Most importantly, the duration of the stop must be reasonable.

If the car could check a database then it could in theory always avoid checkpoints if they are going to be a problem.

Michigan wanted to specifically address blood alcohol content while inside an autonomous vehicle but I'm not sure of what came of it.

Last edited:
What a ridiculous thing to ask!
Self driving is not a joke and its future should be praised and not ridiculed!

...you have a few drinks and set it to go home...

For people who do not want to drive because they have too much to drink, driverless car will attempt to be an answer in future.

When a Google Car will pick you up driverlessly, and its car won't have any driver controls, then there is no chance to accuse you of driving under influence.

Driverless Uber still has driver controls but when it will pick you up driverlessly, it most likely will not allow passengers to access front seats, so there is no chance to accuse you of driving under influence.

Driverless Tesla still has driver controls, so as long as you sit in the back, there is no chance to accuse you of driving under influence.

When Tesla will offer to pickup customers driverlessly in future, it'll be just a very simple software coding to lock passengers out of front doors.

Last edited:
Heard a podcast talking with a Canadian Tesla owner who happened to be a police officer. He was speculating, but his thought was that if there was any way for the driver to take control of the car back and disengage the autonomy then whoever was in the driver's seat would ultimately be responsible. Only if the autonomous system locked out manual input (no stearing mechanism, locked pedals) could the driver be considered not at fault for any accidents.

Again, he was just speculating but it makes sense to me.

Dan

...if there was any way for the driver to take control of the car back and disengage the autonomy then whoever was in the driver's seat would ultimately be responsible...

That's a very reasonable initial assessment. However, there should be a follow up to prove whether that assumption is correct or not with the car logs and with any interior dashcam footage.

With new Michigan law, responsible driver is ambiguous: It could be a hail-and-ride company, autonomous driving system builder (hardware/software) and it could be a passenger who summoned the driverless car...

That's a very reasonable initial assessment. However, there should be a follow up to prove whether that assumption is correct or not with the car logs and with any interior dashcam footage.

With new Michigan law, responsible driver is ambiguous: It could be a hail-and-ride company, autonomous driving system builder (hardware/software) and it could be a passenger who summoned the driverless car...
Yes, there would have to be some way to back up whether you were in autonomous mode or not.

Dan