Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP drifts to the right when first engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also. Strange thing. I just realized that the online manual does not have cruise control section .

Instead, it says:

"If your vehicle is not equipped with the optional Enhanced Autopilot or Full SelfDriving Capability package, refer to the owner's manual on your vehicle's touchscreen for instructions on how to use Cruise Control",

i.e., non-EAP version receives its own manual that is only available in the vehicle system, and that's what i was reading, and EAP owners can't even refer to what i was referring to. Because they perhaps never had access to non-eap vehicle manual. At the risk of wild speculation, could it be that Tesla did not want EAP owners to realize they are missing functionality cf. non-EAP? because it definitely seems to have worked.

It was confusing for me too, because non-eap manual keeps referencing EAP sections of the manual, which it has too; and vice versa, EAP manual constantly makes references to non-EAP vehicles. All making impression there's only one manual for everything. But the online pdf manual is EAP-only manual.

So, EAP vehicles have no cruise control any longer, only TACC. And since TACC is a beta and has much wider limitations than non-EAP cruise control, that's a whole chunk of benign functionality cut out from EAP vehicles. What's more, they are both activated by the same gesture, so once you upgrade to EAP, you may not realize new limitations of the same gesture engaging a new mode.

Wow, I did not realize the 2-different-manuals reality. I need non-freeway regular cruise control. Not only do we get beta version with wide limitations, but also we actually lose already existing use with EAP. Good to know.

Cf. both types of cruise control are typically available in other vehicle's safety tech packages at the same time (certainly on my pacifica phev), but apparently Tesla just couldn't figure how to keep them both in the same vehicle in a user-intuitive way (hey wait.. was it 4 or 5 downs?..)

Last edited:
You answering past the issue quoted. The particular issue of collision warnings going off in benign situations which has nothing to do with TACC. Technically it is not even part of eap, but it tangential to phantom breaking b c they probably use the same or similar prediction models.

Issue related to TACC is that it overrides use of non-TACC that can be used, and was extensively used by me at 25±mph before EAP was enabled. There is now no way to turn on non TACC in the car with EAP.

Like I said, it's far from novel. My other car can engage TACC equivalent or non TACC equivalent at will. Either of them. Two different buttons. Also, it never missed on collision warning and auto energency breaking yet. Either false negatively or positively.

Didn't quite follow some of this... you are getting collision warnings without having TACC on?

I agree that it would be nice to have a standard cruise control option as well, but that's the way it is right now.

You can compare the Model 3 to all kinds of cars and ask why doesn't Tesla do it like this or that. It is the way Tesla made it, and I am sure it will improve over time unlike those other cars where if you didn't like it, there is no hope for them to change it.

Didn't quite follow some of this... you are getting collision warnings without having TACC on?

yes. collision warnings (audio scream-ish alarm) can be enabled in the settings at 3 levels at the same place where the emergency breaking is, i beleive, and have nothing to do with TACC (except like i said they probably share same prediction pathways with TACC phantom breaks, which is part of EAP, so having false positive of one probably is connected of having false positives of another). In my particular car copy collision warning is totally useless due to false positives (but not just my car, there are numerous complains on the forum for the same). I've noticed slight degree of sensitivity change of the warnings (more false positives in 36, fewer in 39, and in 42 it is back up again).

I wonder if that has something to do with off-center radar placement which results in assymetric calibration requirement. My other traffic aware car without false positive problems has the radar right in the middle.

Last edited:
You can compare the Model 3 to all kinds of cars and ask why doesn't Tesla do it like this or that. It is the way Tesla made it, and I am sure it will improve over time unlike those other cars where if you didn't like it, there is no hope for them to change it.

yeah. i hope it will improve. Since i own it, I need to hope.

But for just observation's sake, less functionality IS _less_. Esp. when compared to traditional mainstream implementation (as in every other car that has a similar feature, except Tesla) and sacrificing 25 to 55-limited highway cruise control in a car that is so easy to exceed speed limits, makes me hold off for now on EAP. We'll see.

Interesting...I have never gotten collision warnings in other than expected scenarios. I have gotten them on neighborhood streets going around a curve when I am too close to a parked car because of someone driving too far over while coming toward me. But I can see why it is doing it in those circumstances.