Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with EAP (Auto Lane Change specifically)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since picking up our MY on Monday, I have been playing around with the EAP trial we were given.
I could swear I have seen videos in which the user initiated Auto Lane Change but putting the indicator on and then applying slight pressure on the wheel to make the change.
The best I have been able to manage is when I put the indicator on, it changes lane without any further input.
The first scenario is what I would prefer but I can't seem to make it happen.

Since picking up our MY on Monday, I have been playing around with the EAP trial we were given.
I could swear I have seen videos in which the user initiated Auto Lane Change but putting the indicator on and then applying slight pressure on the wheel to make the change.
The best I have been able to manage is when I put the indicator on, it changes lane without any further input.
The first scenario is what I would prefer but I can't seem to make it happen.
It used to require the slight turning in addition to the indicator, but now it works with just indicator.

Trust me the indicator only is MUCH better. I found the slight turn on the wheel particularly in combination with the older Model 3 with stalks was a pain in the @$$ it was really finicky about how much turn you needed and the difference between just enough to initiate and enough to knock it out of EAP was very small, which annoyed the crap out of passengers.

I'm not sure when it changed, interested to hear your thoughts on wanting two confirmations, I think one is more than enough and just works much better.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Yeah, never saw it listed in any updates, but last time I tried it was back in October in a 2020 Model 3, then in January in the new Model 3 Highland, I wasn't sure if it was a Highland specific thing, but clearly not. Must have been slipped into one of the updates between October and January.

Mine has always only required just the same small amount of torque that is required to prevent nags. Since I always drive with that small amount of torque, lane changing has almost always “just worked” with indicator. Occasionally it will prompt me to apply torque when I indicate - I just re-apply torque. This doesn’t seem to have changed for me - I’m on 2.3

I’ve got to try this now. I usually have the dead weight of my hand on the wheel and don’t get the warning changing lanes, but I remember it from before I found the comfortable way to hold the wheel and have the right pressure for autopilot. It would be interesting updated.