Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP vs FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK so I think tomorrow is the last day I can upgrade to FSD for $3k from EAP.

Does FSD offer anything today that's missing from EAP (I already have Navigate on Autopilot and I believe advanced summon is also coming to people with EAP).

If not, what will be the first feature FSD will offer that's not part of Enhanced Autopilot, and how soon can we expect it? Part of me thinks this might be the last time this offer at this price is made, and another part of me thinks within a year, FSD will be an upgrade from the base-model for a few thousand bucks.

Does FSD offer anything today that's missing from EAP (I already have Navigate on Autopilot and I believe advanced summon is also coming to people with EAP).

If not, what will be the first feature FSD will offer that's not part of Enhanced Autopilot, and how soon can we expect it? Part of me thinks this might be the last time this offer at this price is made, and another part of me thinks within a year, FSD will be an upgrade from the base-model for a few thousand bucks.

Right now, FSD does not give anything extra above EAP.

The first truly FSD feature should be "traffic light and stop sign recognition". Tesla has confirmed that it is currently in "shadow mode" in our cars. We don't know when it will be released to the general public. Could be in a few months maybe.

• Informative
Reactions: Wooloomooloo

Fairly sure this price increase is tied to the wide release of Enhanced Summon. So you probably have some significant time before a price increase (we'll see).
Also it doesn't make sense to increase EAP -> FSD upgrade price in response to Enhanced Summon release, since it provides no additional value (other than proof that Tesla can produce such a feature...), but that's a separate argument.

Tweet showing that price will likely not increase until Enhanced Summon wide release:

Elon Musk on Twitter

Personally if you really do want to buy it, I would at least wait until near midnight on the final day, just to make sure they don't announce they are extending the date. May as well not upgrade until the last possible moment - and if they provide an extension, may as well wait until that extension offer is near expiring.

But the email they sent they stated it will increase after 8/16.

And they may well increase it. They actually said it will increase ON 8/16 - whatever that means - but I assume it will be after 8/16. There were a lot of problems with that email!

However, Elon (sort of) tied it to the Enhanced Summon wide release.

All I'm saying is wait until the last possible moment if you're actually seriously considering this $3k sale, but don't forget.

I'm betting the price won't go up. But I'm also not that interested in purchasing it, so I'm not going to be heartbroken if I can't get it for under $3k at some point in the future. So I'm waiting.

Personally if you really do want to buy it, I would at least wait until near midnight on the final day, just to make sure they don't announce they are extending the date. May as well not upgrade until the last possible moment - and if they provide an extension, may as well wait until that extension offer is near expiring.
Waiting makes sense if
- you think the price may go down
- provide you with clarity on when FSD will actually be achieved

I doubt either of those will happen in the next few weeks (even with v10).

ps : Personally I think the best strategy for Tesla is to increase the price after delivering some feature. It has the benefit of owners knowing what is available today (and don't assume some major break through is coming in 2 weeks) and news of new feature delivery will reach more people & get them to probably upgrade. So, this 8/16 increase doesn't look right and won't be surprised if it does't happen.

Reactions: Hank42