Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early Model S Owners - Extended Service Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ibcs

Jan 31, 2010
Ohio
Early Model S owners please be aware that Tesla created the Extended Service Agreement after we purchased our cars. We had an option to purchase the prepaid 8 year service agreement for annual inspections.

The new agreement is under My Tesla under Service options. You have 30 days from four years of purchase or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. I post this, because I've talked to several early owners that were not aware of the option.

The Tesla Service centers do not inform you about the Extended Service Agreement nor did Tesla send out any emails to owners as you approached the mileage. Tesla did make a blog post, but if you missed it you might miss an opportunity to have the Extended Service Agreement. I've been told they are working on an new program to inform owners, but if you go past the mileage or purchase date you can't purchase the Extended Service Agreement.

My warranty ran out last year due to mileage at 50,000, but I had purchased the 8 year service agreement thinking that covered everything. I was sadly wrong and just paid for my first door handle replacement at $850.

Good post, I THOUGHT I'd purchased the extended warranty, but now can find no evidence that I did...perhaps, as you said, it was just the extended service that I purchased. I was OOW as well when I had my headliner (including need to replace the windsheild and get window tinting done. They kindly did it for "goodwill" as they'd failed to properly repair it the first time, but at 68k it makes me nervous that my next repair job could be really costly.

Good post, I THOUGHT I'd purchased the extended warranty, but now can find no evidence that I did...perhaps, as you said, it was just the extended service that I purchased. I was OOW as well when I had my headliner (including need to replace the windshield and get window tinting done. They kindly did it for "goodwill" as they'd failed to properly repair it the first time, but at 68k it makes me nervous that my next repair job could be really costly.

I was quite shocked at the state of warranty, so I didn't want anyone not knowing their options as we all approach the 4 year mark.

The new agreement is under My Tesla under Service options.

I don't see "Service options" anywhere. Would this perhaps not be available to me, as I purchased mine CPO? Does your page look different than this?

upload_2016-5-18_11-48-54.png

That was my other shock. I purchased a CPO Roadster on 9/27/13 and currently you don't have an option to extend the warranty. I'm under miles at 31k and still within the 37 months. I didn't bring that issue up as I'm waiting to hear from Tesla concerning warranty options.

As a CPO owner of either Model S or Roadster. it appears at the moment you don't have an option after the CPO warranty is expired. Hopefully, this will be addressed for the many owners that this could affect.

• Helpful
Reactions: brantse
I did buy the 8 year service plan. I think I was probably dumb. I actually wanted the 8 year warranty (4+4). Duh...WAY too amped up at the time, I think. But now that service costs are rising, I may do well with that accidental purchase. I am very aware of the expiration date on the warranty. I did at least pay very good attention to that. The date is in my calendar. I do plan on getting it. But it is not in the cards right now. My fear is that they will increase the price or change the plan before I can afford to get it. So I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I have had only relatively few small annoying problems with my car. But with this being a new car, manufacturer and tech, I think the ext warr is (haha) warranted. I plan to keep her for a long time. She was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am thrilled beyond belief that I was able to spring for my lovely lady. So I went for it all.