Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with an older S that purchased the Extended Warranty - Trying to determine when it expires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 S and purchased the extended warranty shortly after buying the car. The agreement says it extends the warranty for 4 yrs or 50K miles from the time the original warranty expires. Tesla is saying that the extended warranty expires when the car reaches a total of 50K miles or 4 years after the original warranty expires. The car comes with a 4 yr 50K mile warranty and I was under the impression that I would get both an additional 4 years and an additional 50K miles.

Has anyone had any experience with the extended warranty and if it lasts past 50K miles? Thanks

I have a 2017 S and purchased the extended warranty shortly after buying the car. The agreement says it extends the warranty for 4 yrs or 50K miles from the time the original warranty expires. Tesla is saying that the extended warranty expires when the car reaches a total of 50K miles or 4 years after the original warranty expires. The car comes with a 4 yr 50K mile warranty and I was under the impression that I would get both an additional 4 years and an additional 50K miles.

Has anyone had any experience with the extended warranty and if it lasts past 50K miles? Thanks
You can clear up the confusion by opening your phone app at the bottom: "Specs & Warranty."

If you bought your car on Jan. 31, 2017, it should say something like:

"Expires Feb 1, 2025 or 1000,000 total miles, whichever comes first."

The car comes with a 4 yr 50K mile warranty and I was under the impression that I would get both an additional 4 years and an additional 50K miles.
You get an additional 4 years OR 50k miles, whichever comes first.

In other words, the ESA extended your total coverage including both the new car warranty and the ESA to “8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.”

Reactions: dsm363
The agreement says it extends the warranty for 4 yrs or 50K miles from the time the original warranty expires.
If the agreement states like you wrote, 4 yrs or 50k miles from the time the original warranty expires, then the first key question is what was the trigger for the first warranty expiration.

The OEM warranty is 4 ys or 50k miles, whichever comes first. In my case, I hit 50k miles after about 3 years. So in my case, adding another 4 yrs or 50k miles to that, would take me to max of 7 years, provided I didn't hit the 100k miles first.

Now the other extreme is the case where someone bought a car and seldom drove it. Say in that case at the end of 4 yrs, they only had 5k miles on the odometer. The additional 4 yr or 50k miles would then take to a total of 8 yr or 55k on the odometer (5k + additional 50k).

So what your ultimate end date and miles will depends on what combination of miles and time you had when that first warranty trigger was hit..

Your answer seems logical that the extended warranty would extend both the years and miles once the original warranty. In my case I had about 30K at the 4 year point so I assumed the extended warranty would expire at 8 years or 80K miles, which ever comes first. Tesla service is saying that once the car hits 50K or 8 years the extended warranty is over. They are not extending the mileage over the mileage offered with the new car warranty.

Your answer seems logical that the extended warranty would extend both the years and miles once the original warranty. In my case I had about 30K at the 4 year point so I assumed the extended warranty would expire at 8 years or 80K miles, which ever comes first. Tesla service is saying that once the car hits 50K or 8 years the extended warranty is over. They are not extending the mileage over the mileage offered with the new car warranty.

I am not sure why are you confusing yourself with undocumented info that is not documented in writing.

Please just go to your phone app, scroll down to the very bottom, click on Specs & Warranty, then tell us what you see on the Warranty tab.

My phone app says warranty ends on 11/11/25 or 50K miles whichever comes first. This is in direct contradiction to a confirmation I received from Tesla when I bought the warranty that says the extended warranty starts when the original warranty ends and extends it by 4 years or 50K miles. That is why I am asking if anyone on this forum has experience with their warranty and when it ends. It does not make sense that an extended warranty does not offer any additional miles over the original warranty. The app is wrong.

My phone app says warranty ends on 11/11/25 or 50K miles whichever comes first. This is in direct contradiction to a confirmation I received from Tesla when I bought the warranty that says the extended warranty starts when the original warranty ends and extends it by 4 years or 50K miles. That is why I am asking if anyone on this forum has experience with their warranty and when it ends. It does not make sense that an extended warranty does not offer any additional miles over the original warranty. The app is wrong.

It should say word by word:

"Expires Nov 1, 2025 or 100,000 total miles, whichever comes first."

You should book up a Service Center appointment to fix what it should say on your phone app, word by word.

.Tesla service is saying that once the car hits 50K or 8 years the extended warranty is over.
This is just wrong, whoever you’re talking to is clueless.

Here’s an ESA contract from 2017:

It’s quite clear, coverage starts the day your new car warranty expires and provides additional coverage of 4 years or 50,000 additional miles, whichever comes first. Read your actual contract and don’t waste any more time trying to decipher the words of some random service center goon making $17 an hour.

Our 2017 warranty page (in the app) says
Drive Unit Limited Warranty
Expires Mar 29, 2025 or unlimited total miles, whichever comes first.

Battery Limited Warranty

Yes we did purchase extended when we bought the car.

Our 2017 warranty page (in the app) says
Drive Unit Limited Warranty

Battery Limited Warranty

Yes we did purchase extended when we bought the car.

After those 2 paragraphs, the next should say:

"Extended Service Agreement

Expires Mar 29, 2025 or 100,000 total miles, whichever comes first."

This is just wrong, whoever you’re talking to is clueless.

Here’s an ESA contract from 2017:

It’s quite clear, coverage starts the day your new car warranty expires and provides additional coverage of 4 years or 50,000 additional miles, whichever comes first. Read your actual contract and don’t waste any more time trying to decipher the words of some random service center goon making $17 an hour.
I have found my contract and it is the same. The contract says" repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla of the subject Vehicle that occur under normal use in the event of a Failure for the selected period of time or mileage (whichever occurs first),with coverage becoming available on and retroactive to the date that Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires

4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km)

The way this is written it is not obvious that you get any additional miles. Since we have the same extended warranty contract, can you look at your Tesla app, scroll down to specs and warranty and tell me what you have for Extended Service Agreement. Mine says Expires Nov 11, 2025 or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. The Service Manager is going by what the app says.

I have found my contract and it is the same. The contract says" repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla of the subject Vehicle that occur under normal use in the event of a Failure for the selected period of time or mileage (whichever occurs first),with coverage becoming available on and retroactive to the date that Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires

4 years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km)

The way this is written it is not obvious that you get any additional miles. Since we have the same extended warranty contract, can you look at your Tesla app, scroll down to specs and warranty and tell me what you have for Extended Service Agreement. Mine says Expires Nov 11, 2025 or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. The Service Manager is going by what the app says.
I don't have a car with an active ESA.

I dunno, it's pretty clear to me.

"for the selected period of time or mileage (whichever occurs first),with coverage becoming available on and retroactive to the date that Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires"
You selected a 4 year / 50k (whichever occurs first) extended service agreement, that started on the day your new vehicle warranty expired.

It's also just plain common sense... take the inverse example. Let's say your new car warranty expired because you hit 50,000 miles in 3 years and 11 months. Does that now mean that your ESA expires in a month at 4 total years? Of course it doesn't.

You said it yourself: "The Service Manager is going by what the app says." He's just parroting what he sees, no critical thinking being applied. Now, what the app says would seem to be obviously wrong, so you might need to keep shopping around to find someone to address that.

"for the selected period of time or mileage (whichever occurs first),with coverage becoming available on and retroactive to the date that Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires"
You selected a 4 year / 50k (whichever occurs first) extended service agreement, that started on the day your new vehicle warranty expired.

If car mileage is 1,000,000 miles at the end of the new car warranty, does the ESA extend the mileage to 1,050,000 ? If it does, then I'm inclined to think that a new car with 10,000 miles at end of the new car warranty would be warrantied out to 60,000 miles with an ESA.

Mostly, I have to agree that the ESA wording is unclear to me. I'd like to think the intent was to offer 4/50 to all new car buyers, and 8/100 to those who add an an ESA, but I cannot really parse the verbiage to make it into that meaning with any confidence

Last edited: