Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Early Plaid OE brake "upgrade" thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Plaids now sporting new brakes looks like Tesla has simply put the Carbon Ceramic's calipers on the stock rotors which makes me believe these would be direct bolt-ons for the old cars. Particularly the rear, the position of the caliper as it relates to the old car is the same position. I'm interested in anecdotal past experience anyone can share on cross parts ordering for something like this . I used to do this all the time with old V.A.G (volkswagen Auto Group) cars that shared parts compatibility just not 'on the books'.

I understand though Tesla asks for a VIN and is much more festiduious about parts ordering.

In other words, if one were so be inclined could I just make a service order request to buy the parts and actually be able to do so?
Kind of early to be asking this quesiton but I need to get this idea out of my head if the resounding answer is 'no' for arbitrary reasons.

The new Plaids now sporting new brakes looks like Tesla has simply put the Carbon Ceramic's calipers on the stock rotors which makes me believe these would be direct bolt-ons for the old cars. Particularly the rear, the position of the caliper as it relates to the old car is the same position. I'm interested in anecdotal past experience anyone can share on cross parts ordering for something like this . I used to do this all the time with old V.A.G (volkswagen Auto Group) cars that shared parts compatibility just not 'on the books'.

I understand though Tesla asks for a VIN and is much more festiduious about parts ordering.

In other words, if one were so be inclined could I just make a service order request to buy the parts and actually be able to do so?
Kind of early to be asking this quesiton but I need to get this idea out of my head if the resounding answer is 'no' for arbitrary reasons.
I think your theory is correct; the SSs below from Tesla's website almost confirms it. The rears look very similar to the ceramic brake upgrade option.

A bit of a bummer to not have these for older refresh owners like me.
Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 12.06.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 12.08.28 PM.png

Recent information suggests these are not the carbon brakes at all.

The latest gossip is that the fronts are the exact same calipers as before, just painted red, and the rears are now single-pot calipers, with a red cover to replicate the look of a monoblock caliper.

What is 100% for sure is that the wording on the website currently says "Higher thermal capability brake pads" and says nothing about brake upgrades besides those pads, Briefly the website said high performance brake calipers or something of that nature. That's gone now.

Recent information suggests these are not the carbon brakes at all.

The latest gossip is that the fronts are the exact same calipers as before, just painted red, and the rears are now single-pot calipers, with a red cover to replicate the look of a monoblock caliper.

What is 100% for sure is that the wording on the website currently says "Higher thermal capability brake pads" and says nothing about brake upgrades besides those pads, Briefly the website said high performance brake calipers or something of that nature. That's gone now.
This is exactly what turned out to be the case. Front calipers are the same but red in Vickie. Rears have a red caliper cover over them. Rotors are the same. Pads have a new compound and I’ve also been told use of higher temp brake fluid is now a stock fill.