Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thinking of selling my plaid and going back to 2020 P100d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 main reasons. I can't deal with the lack of stalks and the reduced range.

The Plaid is my 3rd S, got each right when they refreshed. 2016.5, then Raven, now Plaid. I also have owned as 2nd vehicles, Y & 3.
I've taken a road trip to FL 8 times, every year since 2016.

Here's what I came up with. Please fill me in on if I have something wrong as my plaid is one of first out:

P100 Raven
Better range, at least in summer (will plaid range improve??)
Way Easier/better screen controls
Steering wheel traditional
Blinker stalk
Autopilot stalk
Comfortable seats
Larger Frunk
More room in Trunk
Free Supercharging
Quiet below 20mph, no reverse noise
Clear glass, doesn't give headache

P100 Plaid
Quieter interior (can parts be swapped over to quiet other version down??)
Faster (could improve speed a little by weight reduction, carbon rotors)
Better stereo (can it be swapped? with new car?)
Air-conditioned seats (can they be swapped??)
Pockets in doors
Better center console
Rear screen
Fold down between rear seats with phone charging
Wireless phone charging spots x2
Faster processor, buttons go faster
Better video games and horn sounds
More efficient heater, better AC
Can fit larger/wider tires/wheels
Stronger regen
Better brakes design
1" more rear passenger room
Faster supercharging
Bluetooth audio from rear screen

If I customize a vehicle, there are many things I can do to the old one (I'd buy a late 2020 or 2021 old style). I can't change stalk or range in the plaid that I'm aware of. I can upgrade many things in the older one. I'd rather have range than speed and I realize I could buy a LR but I don't think the range would be as good and they are slower than old Ludacris by a little bit.

Interesting move. I don't like the refresh screen orientation or lack of customizability on the instrumental panel, either. Wonder if a new 100kw battery pack can be put onto an older P100D though obviously boku bucks but perhaps not as much lost as sunk costs of a trade in or sale due to depreciation, etc.

Reactions: evo9rs
how would you get free charging on a 2020 p100d?

That was my question. SC05 doesn't survive transfer of ownership.

As for stalk retrofits, this thread might be of interest:

As far as range, I was getting a real 300+ in my MXP rated for 332 without even trying and when I was really careful, was able to get the rated 332 miles. I can't imagine you doing better in a P100D and the MSP is certainly way better than the MXP...assuming 19" wheels on the MSP that is. If you're running 21's you should consider changing to 19" wheels instead. That will give you a big boost on range and actually improve all levels of performance both in a straight line and in cornering.

Doubtful. Peak current on older cars is lower due to bus/conductor size limitations external to the pack.

The new packs maintain more area under the curve so it may be overall faster, but you won’t magically see 250kw.
Raven could do 225kW which is close enough. The charging curve on the new battery is drastically better.

Why raven?
Pre raven had better shocks.
Better AWD (no permanent magnet motor).
The steering is much faster on older cars. Plaid is like a semi. (need to turn my yoke 180° instead of 90° just to get out of my garage (when I get in... The plaid get stuck in gravel 😂).
Older X have better interior. Modern.
Plaid looks like a Volvo 240 inside. Door panels etc.
Noise (the first months the plaid was quiet. Now it squikes twice as much as 2019. I think it's because it has a much softer chassis).
Automatic doors works much better on older cars. The new Bluetooth / fob system really sucks.
AC in front and rear on older cars. Two heating elements.
Older cars have better biodefenc systems. And you don't need to swap filters as much. Bigger on older models. And you don't need to remove wipers etc. (Who designed this on new cars?)
Older cars had wiper heating all the way.
New cars missing heat the last 2-3". Nice with ice build-up in the winter, and only on the part that's cleaning your camera 🤡.
The windshield ventilation also suck on new cars. And the car regularly dumps "moisture" on the windshield..
The acceleration and charging is faster on new cars.. But not worth it..

I went for a raven after my P85D. Don't think I'll move to a plaid though. There are some improvements that can't be made to the older car such as charging speed, power above 60mph, a more powerful MCU, and ventilated seats. However, you can improve the stereo and add wireless charging to the older car. But the plaid still lacks stalks for turn signals, PRND, and autopilot. That's a deal breaker. It's also a shame you can't customize the cluster and that the display is now horizontal.
Pre raven had better shocks.
Better AWD (no permanent magnet motor).
Not sure if you're referring to the + suspension being better, but I'd argue that the adaptive suspension is a welcome improvement in all ways vs. the previous air suspension. I missed the + suspension of my P85D initially, but I've warmed up to the improved comfort. When set to fully stiff, the adaptive suspension is pretty sporty.

Raven has a permanent magnet motor up front. Don't know why you believe it had "better AWD." Plaid has three motors which should offer better traction control than previous cars.

I went for a raven after my P85D. Don't think I'll move to a plaid though. There are some improvements that can't be made to the older car such as charging speed, power above 60mph, a more powerful MCU, and ventilated seats. However, you can improve the stereo and add wireless charging to the older car. But the plaid still lacks stalks for turn signals, PRND, and autopilot. That's a deal breaker. It's also a shame you can't customize the cluster and that the display is now horizontal.

Not sure if you're referring to the + suspension being better, but I'd argue that the adaptive suspension is a welcome improvement in all ways vs. the previous air suspension. I missed the + suspension of my P85D initially, but I've warmed up to the improved comfort. When set to fully stiff, the adaptive suspension is pretty sporty.

Raven has a permanent magnet motor up front. Don't know why you believe it had "better AWD." Plaid has three motors which should offer better traction control than previous cars.
Supposedly these are coming.

Reactions: Krobbler

About the shocks. I forgot how bad the pre raven shocks is on model S. I was thinking about the X.
Yes. My P100DL probably was the worst handling car I ever had. Our X was way better. I bought the unplugged performance shocks for the car. Not great. But at least stiffer.
To the motors.
Pre raven have way better control. It's a big difference in the winter etc.
Find some gravel. See how raven perform compared to dual induction motors.

And the plaid really is a thing... It's the worst ever... Before filming this video, I removed a tonn of gravel. The plaid digging itself down and got stuck several times. I couldn't get in my own garage. Maybe if I tried backing up 20mph or something. Really terrible.
Find a nice pre raven. Get some ventilated 2016 2017 seats (way better to sit in).
Mcu2 ap3 upgrade and a HDMI input.
You can play game and watching movies, like the refresh cars. Get a 360 parking system(that's why I bought the HDMI kit).
Soundproofing and Alcantara upgrades.
And wish someone makes a 150kWh pack for older cars in the future. (Tesla have opened up for other manufacturers on their supercharging network. So you can put whatever battery you want in the car. It will charge when using standard fastcharging protocol).
This is the 360 kit I bought.( 1 gen).